Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Cheese Rolls

Posted by Blackbird 
Cheese Rolls
December 01, 2008 08:09AM
Hi there,

I'm looking for the recipe, and I know it is here somewhere, for cheese rolls, bread with crusts removed is spread with a cheese mixture, rolled up, sprinkled with grated cheese and baked in the oven. These used to be a great favourite in coffee bars years ago.

Filling recipe would be much appreciated - I think from memory it had something to do with boiling water.

Thanks.

If you think you can, you can.
If you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford
Re: Cheese Rolls
December 01, 2008 08:42AM
Just saw this in the Otago Daily Times site. Has a couple of styles of the Southland Cheese Rolls to try.

[www.odt.co.nz]

Hope this helps. There are also a lot of threads on this site.

Clare
December 01, 2008 09:44AM
Hooray , hooray , thankyou Claire this is the original recipe I remember from Dunedin
piles of years ago....... you have made my day.
December 01, 2008 10:20AM
I coat the outside of my cheese rolls with garlic flavoured avocado oil and either grill or toast them in my toastie maker. Delicious. Do try it!
December 01, 2008 11:06AM
Ngaire, out of interest, which one of the three recipes is the original? They all look great but are so different.

Thanks

Clare
December 01, 2008 07:20PM
Clare, if you go to page 1 of that ODT article (scroll to the bottom and click on Page 1), the whole story and history of the roll is related. The Rex cheese one seems to be closest to the original.
December 06, 2008 12:13PM
Hi Claire the 1st one on the ODT , Rex cheese derived filling . less the sugar i think.
We cooked it in a double boiler.
John will try your idea next time it sounds delicious thanks.
December 07, 2008 04:04AM
Here is one that I got off this site Have made it & was a hit.
SOUTHLAND CHEESE ROLLS
1 litre milk 4tbs cornflour 1 pkt onion soup mix 400g tasty cheese grated
Heat milk & soup, add cornflour to which you have added a little cold milk to to make a paste. Stir until thick add cheese, stir well. Leave until next day before using. Spread on crustless bread slices brush with butter & bake in oven 10mins or so at 180o turn a few times until golden & cheesy insides are bubbling.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.