jen
Fave Toasted Sandwich combo???
May 19, 2008 04:18AM
Quick and easy for lunch on the weekend etc, being a non-meat eater for me usually means cheese and???(leftover mashed potato and cheese, yum!). Being nosey here and want to know what others might put together as a quick gastronomic treat? Is the humble toastie NZ unique? Remember having grilled cheese and banana on toast at a cafe` in Surfers many years ago, and have done that combo as a toastie too.
...Off to fire up the frypan,
jen
Re: Fave Toasted Sandwich combo???
May 19, 2008 04:28AM
Nothing gastronomic about this one but I love creamed corn and cheese!

Somtimes I also do caramelised onion jam with mozzarella cheese and ham.

May 19, 2008 04:42AM
peanut butter and banana - but only with vogels (a la Elvis)

cheese and beetroot

or egg and s&p

and the most popular toasted sandwich at our resort was tuna cheese and onion

Four legs good, two legs bad. George Orwell

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2008 04:44AM by lynley.
May 19, 2008 04:52AM
mmmm.....you can't beat plain old ordinary pineapple, cheese and onion.....in my opinion!
Regards,
Dawn.
May 19, 2008 05:08AM
Left over roast veges & gravy!!!!!!!!
May 19, 2008 05:08AM
Molenberg bread, apricot & Peach chutney, ham & Cheese - yummmm or as Helen corn & Cheese with chutney.

Helen B.
May 19, 2008 05:10AM
Funnily enough I just finished a toasted sandwich for lunch, Helen's favourite, sweetcorn and cheese, plus I added a bit of baby spinach on health grounds! I also love just plain old cheese and tomato.
May 19, 2008 05:43AM
our house favourite is sandwich tuna, cheese, onion and trident chilli and ginger sauce
May 19, 2008 06:10AM
Ham, cheese and tomato for husband
Meat sauce from spag bol for older son
Baked beans or plain cheese for second son

May 19, 2008 06:26AM
Cheese and onion for me!
May 19, 2008 07:07AM
In the old toastie machine that seals the bread, I love an egg with S & P, and in the sandwich press I love cheese onion/bacon and ham
May 19, 2008 08:19AM
basil pesto and mozzarella on any type of bread! yummo
May 19, 2008 11:58AM
Vogels with a little pesto, sliced avocado, red capsicum rings and cheddar or edam.
May 19, 2008 10:41PM
ham cheese and beetroot - classic - might have that for lunch today!
May 20, 2008 12:34AM
Ham, cream cheese, tomato & avocado.
May 20, 2008 03:20AM
Our kids love spaghetti (from the can), with a bit of cheese too.

I've recently tried egg, and love that, and so does DH. Just have to cook it slightly longer, until its a dark golden brown, so that the egg isn't too runny and falls out, when you bite into it.

May 20, 2008 09:46AM
When we use the sandwich press and are hankering for egg, we lightly fry our eggs in a non stickk pan and ad them into the sammie with bacon/ham etc. The final little bit of cooking finishes the egg. We dont like runny eggs in our toasties.
DK
September 07, 2008 08:33AM
Just thought I'd revive this thread as I have just bought a new toastie (jaffle) maker and thrown out my old never-shuts-properly, hard-to-clean, pushes-the bread-forward-as-you-close-it jaffle maker. I LOVE my new one. It just shows you what a role good design can play, even in a humble jaffle maker.

My fave filling is an egg cracked directly onto the bottom slice of bread and with a shake of salt & pepper over the top before you put the other bit of bread on. I suppose you could add lots of other things to it but I love the way the jaffle maker cooks the egg perfectly and it's so easy.

I made some peach pies with a sheet of puff pastry in the jaffle maker last night - drained, tinned peaches, cardamom and a sprinkle of brown sugar. It cooked so quickly, and without having to heat the oven.
September 07, 2008 08:46AM
For me the egg must have a splodge of tomato sauce on the bottom slice.
As for the pies, I love the way they puff up as soon as you open the toastie maker. Even something as simple as a spoonful of jam makes a yummy quickie dessert.
September 07, 2008 12:07PM
i personally love thinly sliced onion, chopped tomato and cheese and ham.

Or creamed corn and cheese..
September 07, 2008 09:48PM
Salami, feta and olives are my favourites. My toastie maker is an old one and it doesn't cut the sandwich in half as you close it. I can get in heaps of filling. And to answer Jen's question back in the first post, no toasties are not uniquely NZ. I remember as a teenager sitting in front of the fire on a winter's night, making toasties using our long, dark red wooden handled, round headed toastie pie maker. This was in the UK, in a then small village called Stanwell, on the edge of London Airport.
September 07, 2008 11:15PM
Cheese & Mushroom, cheese & Baked beans, cheese & sweetcorn, I think these would be the favourites in our household.
ktc
September 07, 2008 11:20PM
For me
as a sandwich in the pan
Cheese & Onion
Cheese & pickle
Ham, Cheese & tomato
mushroom & bacon or ham
leftovers roast chicken (stuffing if available), casserole, stew, mince, roast veg, stirfry,

Along with any of the above, in the jafflemaker are the runnier fillings (love the crusts)

baked beans
spaghetti
egg &/or bacon
sweetcorn

September 08, 2008 12:36AM
Spaghetti with an egg on top is a favourite with me.
September 08, 2008 03:57AM
Ploughmans' Pickle, ham, chedder cheese and peanut butter.

Tuna mixed with mayo and ketchup, cucumber and spring onions.

Soft scrambled eggs with sliced franfurters!!

Tahini, squished Avo, sliced red onion and tomatoes.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.