Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

On the topic of frying pans, non stick v non, um non stick.

Posted by canids 
On the topic of frying pans, non stick v non, um non stick.
August 25, 2009 02:50AM
I know someone who will not have a non stick pan in the house. She will only have stainless steel. Reckons over time the plastic involved in the non stick coating slowly comes off and is ingested into our body. Reckons it's not good for us. cancer etc. And I guess as plastic comes from oil perhaps shes right.

Your thoughts ?

I'm not a bossy person. I just know what everyone should be doing.
Re: On the topic of frying pans, non stick v non, um non stick.
August 25, 2009 03:24AM
I have heard that suggestion, however I have no idea of the truth (or otherwise) of it. The non-stick coating does wear thin over the years, that's true.

Either way, my absolute favourite frying pan is a cast iron one, just keep it slightly oiled. I only use stainless steal or non-stick (I'm a woman of many frying pans) if the cast iron one isn't big enough.
August 25, 2009 03:27AM
I remember a few years ago seeing a piece on a current events programme (20/20 or 60 minutes) about this subject. A study showed that almost 100% of the people tested had traces of teflon in their blood. Here's a link I just googled.

[www.consumeraffairs.com]
August 25, 2009 03:52AM
My frying pan which is not a non stick cooks 100 times better than my non stick one...

The non stick one is only used for pancakes.. but then we also use the BBQ for that...
August 25, 2009 05:16AM
I haven't read any scientific basis to that theory, but it seems plausible. I'm not a fan of non-stick anyway. I don't think they cook well, and really.. if your food is sticking to your pan that badly, you're most likely cooking on too high heat.

I have one tefal pan I use for scrambled eggs, but the rest are stainless steel or cast iron and are just as easy to clean as the teflon one.

What I don't quite get is people having entire sets of non-stick pots.
August 25, 2009 05:43AM
Two months ago I received my Jamie Oliver professional series 30cm stainless steel copper pot roast with lid, by cashing in 1395 fly buys points. It has a thermo-spot which took me a while to figure out that the spot wasn't going to glow bright red but rather lose its graphics to indicate desired heat reached. In this short space of time I have given it at least a years usage. I'm totally in love and addicted to it. It isn't deep enough to cook a roast with the lid on, but I use it in the oven and on the hob for just about everything at present. It makes me smile, it's a thing of beauty and practicality. Just like me.
Previously I had always used my cast iron or stainless steel pans and like FarmAway I am a woman of many frying pans, but this usurper has relegated them all to the back of the cupboard.
August 25, 2009 10:44PM
Sorry don't have non stick in the house, I can't stand the smell that many of them give off as they heat up.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.