Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Mastication

Posted by lynley 
Mastication
November 19, 2009 11:09PM
Mastic - who has ever heard of this resiny ingredient before?

I have heard it mentioned twice in the last week and am now of course very intrigued and wanting to try it - although I am very wary of food that may possibly end up tasting like toothpaste, cough syrup or frankincense and myrrh.

Oh well if you didn't like it maybe you could varnish the coffee table with the leftovers.

I found this info online: [www.theepicentre.com]

Four legs good, two legs bad. George Orwell

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2009 11:10PM by lynley.
Re: Mastication
November 19, 2009 11:22PM
I have never heard of mastic before. How incredible that as a chewing gum it keeps it's flavour for 15-20 minutes.
November 19, 2009 11:27PM
It’s a very interesting ingredient. Mastica comes from the dried sap of a variety of pistachio tree.
It’s very popular in Greece and has a lovely resinous flavour which works well in certain desserts and pastries. A paste of mastica is served with iced water in many Greek bars and is meant to be very refreshing.
I’ve tried to find it here but without success, apart from in over priced capsule form as a health supplement.
I have number of pistachio nut trees and I’ve tried the resin from them- certainly has potential.
November 19, 2009 11:31PM
Wow- that link has two recipes that I've been after for years!!!!!
Thank you Lynley!
November 20, 2009 12:37AM
The secret seems to be to use only a small amount or it does end up tasting frankincense & myrrh, but here it only seems to come in small amounts so that probably isn't a problem winking smiley

- Fiona
November 20, 2009 01:11AM
And I always thought it referred to cows chewing their cud!! You learn something every day.

Marnie
November 20, 2009 07:38PM
Previously to hearing about it on MasterChef twice in relation to Greek cooking, I had only ever heard of mastic as a type of paste-thing that you would use to fill gaps where a bit of flexibility is required, such as between a bath and the wall. Silicone is used these days, but it used to be called mastic.
November 21, 2009 12:58AM
For the curious, we have it in our shop - it's from Herbie's in Australia.

-- Karl

-----------------------------------
What Karl & Fiona have been cooking up!
[edibleplanet.wordpress.com]
November 22, 2009 03:24AM
Will do - thanks, Lynley

November 22, 2009 07:59AM
I have vivid memories of raki - the mastic liqueur. We were on Crete and our driver stopped at a cafe in the middle of Samaria Gorge, bought a bottle and using sign language (he spoke no English) indicated that when the bottle was empty we could go. And so it was. Numerous raki shots all round.

And to think he drove through the gorge after that......
November 22, 2009 09:38PM
I'll be in touch shortly Karl

I'm very interested! I've been trying to find it for years. Memories of mastica gelato are haunting me and I can think of but one way to exorcise them!
December 01, 2009 09:16AM
smiling smiley

We'd run out for a bit. We have some more on order, and if you like I can PM you when it arrives.

-- Karl

-----------------------------------
What Karl & Fiona have been cooking up!
[edibleplanet.wordpress.com]
December 01, 2009 10:52PM
Yes please Karl!
December 02, 2009 12:31AM
If there is any left needing a good home I wouldn't mind pitching in for some.
December 02, 2009 02:04AM
I've got mine - thanks Karl & Fiona! (plus the bonus GROUND BAY LEAVES!!!!) awesome delivery! I don't think anyone will be splitting a delivery anytime soon, I had no idea this stuff was rarer than hen's teeth! Looking forward to having the time to have a go at a recipe - bonus recipe on the back of the packet for Orange Blossom Ice Cream which tickles me....will keep y'all posted

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.