Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Uncooked Frozen Bread

Posted by anita.jamieson 
Uncooked Frozen Bread
January 25, 2010 04:12AM
Over the Christmas holiday break at Great Barrier Island, the local shop had for sale small oblong Uncooked Frozen Bread loaves. Apparently you put on a baking tray lined with baking paper, defrost ovenight, leave in a warm place the next day for a couple of hours, then bake at about 200 for 15 minutes. I saw one baking which was about 10 minutes away from finished, and it makes quite a large oblong loaf.

Does anyone know a recipe for doing this.
Re: Uncooked Frozen Bread
January 25, 2010 05:27AM
I have done this before with bread recipes, just freeze after the first prooving either shaped or unshaped, defrost and allow to proof and then bake as per normal, the yeast still functions in the same way.

Don't leave it to defrost in the fridge too long or it will grow legs and walk - call this the voice of experience.

Debbie
[danceswithkumara.blogspot.com]
January 25, 2010 07:15PM
It's simpler to make a batch of no-knead bread and keep the raw mixture in the fridge (for up to 14 days) using as much as you need daily. As the mixture 'matures' it develops a lovely sourdough flavour. See all the threads about Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day for the full story.
January 27, 2010 02:02AM
Thanks all. I tried testing the Artisan bread the other day. Divided the mixture by 4 and after proving for about 3 hours, put on a tray and baked. It was a disaster. Hardly rose at all.

I will try a normal bread recipe, prove, shape and freeze and see how that works.
February 17, 2010 12:49PM
had a few disasters too and gave up.

now im cheating *g*
320g spelt flour (or wheat)
180g light rye flour
2tsp sourdough concentrate
1tsp yeast
2tsp wheat malt flour
1tsp salt
200-250ml water

mix/kneed well - let double it´s size - make a loaf and put on a tray - bake. that´s it. easy, quick and just delicous winking smiley

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.