Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Rhubarb champagne Radio live

Posted by Lesley B 
Rhubarb champagne Radio live
January 26, 2009 05:48AM
Just wondering if this is alchoholic?It looks suspiciously like my apple cider that has a kick to it?

Looks lovely colour though so would be interested if anyone else has made this?
Re: Rhubarb champagne Radio live
January 26, 2009 07:07AM
I heard on the sat. radio show, by a couple of ladies that have made it that if left for more than a few days , it becomes alcoholic!!
January 26, 2009 09:38AM
Well the one I made said leave for 14 days.Its been 30+degrees here and after 4 days is looking quite bubbly.It look great and tasted nice before I bottled it.Perhaps it will blow up overnight
January 26, 2009 08:56PM
I was wondering if it would explode like ginger beer can do. Has this hapened to anyone who has made it? It sounded like a possibility when one lady commented on the radio last weekend.
January 29, 2009 04:18AM
After 4 days mine had white mould growing on it so I threw it out. What did I do wrong?
January 29, 2009 05:42AM
I thought it needed to be bottled after 2 days... the callers said that it can be alcoholic so I would treat it with care.
January 30, 2009 05:52AM
Mine was bottled 2 days after making it.As temperatures were in the 30's it didnt take long to brew.I put it in the fridge on Tuesday for safety.

When hubby returned from his weekly tramp we opened it very carefully.

An absolute delight.The colour of pink grapefruit juice with lots of little fizzing bubbles.Tasted really refreshing and thirst quenching.

There is a sediment of yeast on the bottom that I was careful not to disturb.

I think it could be left longer in the winter but didnt want a strong brew for a thirst quenching summer drink.

tongue sticking out smiley thumbs up
January 31, 2009 09:51AM
Not sure if it is alcoholic or not but have a query re rhubarb - mine never seems to turn red at the stalk - how long does rhubarb take to reach maturity?
February 01, 2009 04:18AM
It will be slightly alcoholic, just like home-made gingerbeer. If you give sugar to yeast, they will break it down to carbon dioxide (hence the fizz) and alcohol.
As to your rhubarb question - rhubarb is ready as soon as it is a decent size. The colour is determined by the variety with some never turning red.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.