Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Cronots!

Posted by anneb 
Cronots!
August 20, 2013 04:02AM
I believe Cronots are the latest sweet treat. Has anyone tried them yet or endeavoured to make them? A cross between a croissant and a donut, recipe originally hailing from New York. The Hip Groups cafes in auckland are selling them apparently (e.g. Takapuna beach cafe). I've yet to try though they sound intriguing (and perhaps not overly healthy!!!!)
Re: Cronots!
August 20, 2013 04:05AM
I looked at them a while ago and they seem like a heart attack waiting to happen. Essentially buttery puff pastry deep fried (in a donut shape of course) and then iced and decorated...
I am not sure that they would appeal to me at all.
Someone told me that they had tried one but didn't like it but can't remember who.
August 22, 2013 11:03PM
See the article on page A10 of the NZ Herald this morning titled 'Customers beat path to Takapuna cafe's Cronots'. Described as light, , sugary and less stodgy than a doughnut, the basic dough being a combination of a quarter butter and three quarters flour with some yeast, salt and honey! The lemon curd ones sounds nice, I'm yet to try!'
August 23, 2013 12:41AM
Oh I am prepared to sacrifice myself (purely in the name of customer research you understand) and try a Cronot or two.....Lemon curd first followed by Maple and Pecan......mmmm smiling smiley
August 23, 2013 01:48AM
You can have my share as well, Lucy.
August 23, 2013 03:17AM
I've lost 15.7kg since the beginning of February and I can do without Cronuts, thank you! smiling smiley

Monday, intrepid dessert lovers wiped out shelves after reports surfaced of the city’s first CroNot — not Cronut. Posh Bakery, in the South Bay, unveiled their version of the pastry, but — because the original bakery that pioneered the treat has copyrighted the name Cronut — what we get is a CroNot.
[blogs.kqed.org]
August 23, 2013 06:52AM
Well done Lorna, great achievement!

The doughnut croissant cross does not appeal to me....while I occasionally enjoy a croissant or doughnut I tend towards other sweet treats for my decadent times.
August 23, 2013 10:14AM
Watch Seven Sharp tonight on this subject!!
August 23, 2013 12:46PM
I had one from moore wilsons about 6 weeks ago as a birthay treat and loved it. The one I had wasn't iced and had a custard filling.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.