Posted by IngridO 
What is a Mousetrap?
May 11, 2014 08:11AM
My memories of a mousetrap are
Spaghetti and Cheese toasted on one half of a hamburger bun

Is that right?
Re: What is a Mousetrap?
May 11, 2014 08:29AM
To me, a mousetrap is vegemite/marmite on white sandwhich bread, topped with cheese and then put under the grill. Preferably cooked until quite dry. Sometimes on a halved long white roll, and then it is only cooked until cheese is melted.
May 11, 2014 09:44AM
Marmite and grated cheese grilled on sandwich bread for me too. I've never seen one on a roll, but bread rolls probably weren't invented when I last ate one winking smiley

Lynne2
May 11, 2014 10:14AM
I made them for my children but now do it for my grandies and they love them.
I do mine different. Spread marmite on bread and top with grated cheese and I bake them until dry.
May 11, 2014 11:52AM
OK so this is GROSS but I thought the whole spaghetti thing was to represent MOUSE guts (EWWWWW)

What was the marmite/ vegemite?

My memories are from the school tuckshop....25 years ago!
May 11, 2014 03:38PM
Marmite/Vegemite and cheese on baked bread here too!
May 11, 2014 10:13PM
Mousetraps at my school tuckshop back in the 60's were half a hamburger bun topped with spaghetti and grated cheese toasted. They were extremely popular! My kids loved it if I made them with the addition of chopped onion in the grated cheese.
May 11, 2014 11:46PM
Marmite and cheese here too!
May 11, 2014 11:47PM
My Dad used to make them as a way to use up old bread. Cut into soldiers top with vegemite/marmite cheese on top & pop into our oven which was a coal range until they were crunchy. yummy
May 14, 2014 04:40AM
Okay, we must have a weird family. Ours were grated cheese mixed with a little tomato sauce and a little Worcester sauce, spread on toast and grilled. I make them occasionally for the kids and they love them. Somehow they feel more substantial than just cheese on toast.
MMD
May 18, 2014 05:56AM
Toast bread on one side, spread some tomato relish, top with grated cheese, sprinkle with paprika and place under the grill -that was our 'mousetrap' in Hawke's Bay, 1950 !

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2014 01:36AM by MMD.
May 18, 2014 06:29AM
Are Mousetraps a South Island speciality? I grew up in Auckland and had never heard of them until a friend from Christchurch brought some to a party as canapés. They were just cheese and marmite on bread, completely dry, tooth-breakingly hard and nobody ate them!

I don't think I've run across them since.
May 18, 2014 06:35AM
I'm a north islander and we often had them (marmite and cheese) for lunch to dip into soup.
Regards,
Dawn.
May 18, 2014 02:29PM
Baked bread with marmite +/- cheese was often given to children instead of rusks when my kids were little. Mousetraps are definitely known in the lower Nth Island.

A bit of googling found a reference to the "mousetrap" being the crust of bread with marmite and toasted cheese that was used to bait the mousetrap. I imagine mousetraps (the snack) originated with just cheese and some adventurous cook added marmite when it became available.

But spaghetti on toast/bun with cheese is not a mousetrap, not in my book anyway.
May 19, 2014 02:38AM
When I was growing up in Invercargill, mousetraps - in our house at any rate - were toasted bread slices spread with cheese and topped with bacon, then put under a medium grill for a minute or so until the bacon was cooked and the cheese melted. I still do these from time to time for lunch with a bowl of soup.
May 19, 2014 02:51AM
Bacon was an extra luxury item that was added to ours once in a blue moon.
May 21, 2014 04:44AM
Mousetraps at our house were vegemite/marmite on white bread, grated cheese and topped with a bit of tomato relish baked until crispy but not teeth breaking smiling smiley yum, now that I've read these I have a bit of a yearning for one. Mousetraps feel like winter comfort food to me
May 24, 2014 01:22AM
Yes, I've always known mousetraps to be cheese and bacon on toast and grilled to melt cheese and cook bacon. Must be an Invercargill thing.
Stephanie
May 24, 2014 03:57AM
It might be a South Island thing, Stephanie, because that's how I remember them. From time to time we might become adventurous and add something such as pickles or a little chopped tomato, even some vegemite or marmite but the basis was cheese and bacon.

When I make that type of thing now I tend to use a basic Welsh Rarebit topping. Still delicious.
May 24, 2014 09:20AM
South Islander here- just cheese and marmite cooked by my father who was also from the South Island
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.