Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Kamo Kamo

Posted by Johanna 
Kamo Kamo
January 06, 2004 10:40PM
Has anyone got any great idea's for Kamo Kamo? So far, I have treated them to the same ideas as courgettes, marrows, zucchini's etc. Regards, Jo
Re: Kamo Kamo
January 07, 2004 10:17AM
Can someone tell me what kamo kamo is? Never heard of this and am fascinated by the different fruit and veg you have over in NZ. Am learning so much about your country from this site.
January 10, 2004 07:50AM
Jane

There doesn't seem to be a lot of information on the kamokamo. On a Maori Glossary website it is listed as a marrow or squash. It looks like a fat short courgette with pronouced ribs and it tastes quite like a courgette also. Some I have grown are fat and round like a melon or baby pumpkin and others are more cylindrical like they're supposed to be. Jo
January 10, 2004 08:21AM
To see a photo of the kamokamo go to www.vegetable.co.nz.
January 12, 2004 01:37AM
We use to feed them to the cows. Not one of my favourites as far as pumpkins go.?:-(
January 05, 2006 03:53AM
Can I use KamoKamo as a replacement for Chayotes (Chokos).

I think Chayotes are a gourds, but I am not sure what Kamokamo really are? Are they a squash? which means they are related to zucchini.
January 06, 2006 09:50AM
They are of the marrow family and very scuptious when they are young and fresh .
I cut them up and microwave them , mash with butter and pepper. Picked very fresh and small I cut in half slice into the
vege in a chequered pattern then put garlic , butter and black pepper , cook them in the oven till soft .
January 06, 2006 01:19PM
I can't help but smile everytime I see this thread.

I lived for 11yrs in Whangarei - and the suburb I lived in was "Kamo".

Whenever I log on - I smile to myself - sorry............. small things amuse small minds.

Ex-Kamo - now Palmy Raewyn
January 07, 2006 02:53AM
I LOVE kamokamo , although I didn;t ever see it around when I lived in Auckland but am enjoying it again back here in Hawkes Bay.
I panfry slices of kamokamo in garlic butter and let them caramelise a bit and then sprinkle with parmesan and salt and peppper to serve. Delicious. I do chokos the same way
R.H
January 07, 2006 04:30AM
My littlies used to love kamokamo mashed up with potato, lots of butter (for me!) and salt and pepper. Yum!
January 09, 2006 05:04AM
Thanks everyone, I now know what to do with them, I saw them for sale at the produce store, and did want to try them.
Ruth
January 21, 2008 08:02AM
Ruth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks everyone, I now know what to do with them,
> I saw them for sale at the produce store, and did
> want to try them.
> Ruth

I have heard there is a pickle recipe for kamokamo. Anyone have any ideas?
sylv

February 10, 2008 11:21AM
Can someone please set the record straight....

I have been in a debate with a friend over a Kamo Kamo, and a large courgette......

She says a large courgette is a Kamo Kamo, I have tried to tell her they are 2 different vegetables, however from the same family as such....I have said that a large courgette is a marrow, which she agrees and says that a Kamo Kamo is also a large marrow....

This has been frustrating me as I grow courgettes every year, and have explained to her they have never turned into a Kamo Kamo...otherwiswe I wouldnt be buying them lol....
DK
February 11, 2008 10:58AM
Kamo kamo is one of my favourite veges - it's a bit more robust and less watery than courgettes. I often cook them sliced up and sauteed in a pan then deglazed with wine vinegar and finished off with some honey and salt and pepper - sort of sweet and sour.
This was originally a recipe from The Listener but I can't find the exact recipe and couldn't tell you the quantities.
February 11, 2008 11:25AM
Ruth, chayote are choko.
February 12, 2008 12:43PM
Kamo. If you blink you'll miss it. That's what my dad used to say everytime when we drove through Whangarei. Kamo means blink. Kamo kamo, blinking.

And no way are they like a courgette -- if you overcook a courgette it goes to mush, but cook the kamo kamo the same time as a potato then you get the true flavour of them. Most people we know cooked them like courgettes and they tasted very much like courgettes, in fact, I thought they were courgettes, what gave them away was the fact that they were round. They just need to be cooked a bit longer than courgettes, whatever way you decide to cook them. But at the end of the day, it is a matter of taste...

Hoana
February 18, 2008 04:04AM
We love love loooove kamo kamo!!! Being a maori family we were brought up on them. My kids and I love kamo kamo in our bacon bone boil up...lotsa lotsa butter smiling smiley.

To save buying them this year, we decided to grow our own. LOL they have been very successful, they're all over the place, we might be able to sell them ourselves!!LOL. I just don't when to pick them???! HELP!!!

Marie
February 18, 2008 04:15AM
Tossing this into the forum. I googled this so it must be right. smiling smiley

KUMI KUMI:
Kumi kumi are stocky in shape with heavy ribbing. Immature kumi kumi are about the size of a tennis ball, have a nutty flavour, a speckled green soft skin with white-green flesh and are used like courgettes. Mature kumi kumi have a speckled green hard skin, are about the size of a netball, have a deep white flesh and are used like buttercup squash. Originally called kamo kamo by the Maori and considered particularly good for the hangi. Available December to April.
March 31, 2008 08:46AM
Kiaora,
My wife is from Whakatane and I eat the kamokamo every chance I get to when I'm there. I recieved some seeds and hope to grow some out in Cal. I don't even like vegies but I love kamokamo !

June 04, 2009 04:32AM
I'm growing Kamo Kamo for the first time this season.
I bought my seed from Rareseeds.com (BakerCreek)

It went off like gang busters and now is stalling, I think
it's a little cool here in my northern California coastal
town.

Looking forward to tasting it.
November 09, 2009 09:39AM
I grew KamoKamo this year in my garden and had a great crop
off one very large and meandering plant.

I'm loving this squash and will be growing it again next season.
Today I roasted the squash and then made soup with it.

Oven roasted:
cut in half, remove seeds, lightly brush with olive oil, season
with salt and pepper and place cut side down in baking dish
at 350F until tender. About 45-60 minutes.

November 09, 2009 10:51AM
I love them too. I saved seeds from last year's crop and am about to plant the new seedlings into the garden. We eat them when they are small, but they keep well for use over winter if you let them mature on the vine, but I don't think they are quite as nice to eat in their matured form, but of course better than nothing!
Regards,
Dawn.
December 29, 2011 02:38AM
yum that sounds delicious - Im definitely going to try that.
December 29, 2011 03:15AM
The best thing about kamo kamo is the creamy taste and texture when steamed and then mashed with butter salt and pepper - having sworn off milk and cream I have started using kamokamo mash as a kind of creamy substitute in things like creamy pasta sauces. Still experimenting - although these little beauties are quite expensive these days!
January 12, 2012 10:57AM
Found some KamoKamo at the beach car park when I went for a surf this evening. Small ones the size of a large tennis ball. Just looking for the best way to prepare them for eating. I'm so lucky...
January 15, 2012 08:39AM
Well we tried what I think was kamo kamo tonight.To be honest not very impressed.I think I need advice here.I peeled it and quartered it.It had soft white seeds in a white pith.Is that how they should be? I read of someone saving the seeds but these were very immature ones I think and saving those would have been pointless.I steamed until I deemed it tender and mashed it with butter but it gave out a lot of liquid and didn't really go creamy as I expected it to.It also shrank to almost nothing which is just as well as it was plenty for the two of us!I put it in the oven un-- covered in the hope that some of the excess moisture would evaporate which it did slightly. It wasn't unpleasant to eat,just not much flavour apart from butter,salt and pepper.Do you think I bought one which was too young? I saw a Maori chap yesterday buying one and he was tapping each one as you would a melon.Perhaps I should have asked his advice.
January 15, 2012 09:14AM
T'was me, Tootsie, who saved the seeds. But in growing my own I can leave one or two to mature well into the season and then I save the seeds. If you wanted to save the seeds from a bought one you would have to wait until April or May when they would then be the size (but not shape) of a football and would be mainly dark green, but yellow on their side which has been growing against the soil.

I use them at various stages of their young age and treat them very much like a courgette when they are extra young, but when they get to about a 15 - 20 cm size I cut them in half, remove the seeds and pithy area around the seeds (don't peel) and in each half put a mix of chopped tomato-red onion-mushrooom-feta cheese-sprinkle of soy sauce-topped with grated cheese, cover and put the halves into microwave oven for however long it takes to cook the kamo kamo. The filling gives them flavour and we love them!

Use them extra small and you can make virtually any recipe which uses courgette - i.e. crustless quiche.
Regards,
Dawn.
Edited to add: Forgot to mention chopped tomatoes (with seeds squeezed out) and you can also add a sprinkling of cream if you have it before you sprinkle with grated cheese. Yum yum yum......y.......u........m........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2012 09:21AM by Dawn.
January 15, 2012 09:45PM
Thanks for you reply Dawn. Still not clear if mine was one suitable for mashing.Do you think a more mature one would have been better?If it was a 'masher' should I have left the tiny soft seeds and pith?
January 15, 2012 11:31PM
I don't mashed them Tootsie, but I would imagine they'd be the same as if you were to mash a courgette (I haven't mashed courgettes either). I think perhaps when they are mature they would be nice mashed with butter s and p. as their consistency would not be as moist as a courgette and you would remove their seeds and pithy stuff and rind first (but then I guess you'd call them a marrow at that stage).
Regards,
Dawn.
January 20, 2012 04:00AM
I bought my first Kamo Kamo today and are so excited to try it out!
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.