Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Best breakfast for runners?

Posted by IngridO 
Best breakfast for runners?
March 29, 2015 11:01AM
I've signed up for the Auckland Series - 6 runs over 5 months. (10kms each)
I recently completed the Coastsville Classic (8kms) and I wasn't too sure what to eat prior to the race, or whether I should eat anything at all. I felt like eating a full English Breakfast and a large coffee, but my running buddies told me I would be sick! I made sure I ate that after though lol

Any suggestions for energy building brekkies for a newbie runner?
Re: Best breakfast for runners?
March 29, 2015 11:31PM
I think it depends how long before the race you are eating. Three hours plus I would think an English breakfast would be good as it will be very sustaining.

1-2 hours I would tend to go with a porridge or oats option or banana and toast or similar.

I would experiment with a training run first.

Good luck smiling smiley
March 30, 2015 12:22AM
Work out what suits you. I was a runner now I am a cyclist. I never eat before any event as it makes me ill. I am not exactly a starving skeleton so have plenty of inbuilt reserves, as do most NZers. I personally think the need for food is mainly in our head, most of us will not faint if we don't eat for a day or two! If you think back to past generations, they worked at hard manual labour for very long hours, with very little food and were very healthy because of it. So don't listen to others, including myself, sort out what suits you. I do drink water, from the tap, before an event as it is dehydration rather than malnutrition that is the issue.
March 30, 2015 01:19AM
I'm about to go for my regular 5km run fuelled by nothing more than a cup of black coffee with one sugar. If I was to be doing something a bit longer then I'd go for a light meal, something like a poached egg on grain toast which combines protein and some complex carbs...but not too much or you'll end up needing a toilet stop along the way. This is one time when I think a smoothie could be a good idea, light, and combines carbs (energy) with protein (muscle repair).

I also agree with Stephanie D, we don't actually need to eat before exercise, as most of us have enough fuel reserves to last us through daily exercise. There is also some evidence that exercising on an empty stomach results in better fat loss. I try never to have a big meal after I run, or what is the point in running in the first place? I enjoy it as much as I enjoy any exercise, and I know it's good for me from a heart health/diabetes prevention angle, but I only do it because it helps me to control my weight, a full cooked breakfast afterwards would put back all the calories I've just used up and then some!

Just did some basic maths, running for an hour (my pace, so slow!) = 711 calories burnt, English breakfast (2 pieces of bacon, 2 poached eggs, 2 toast, 1/2 cup baked beans, 1/2 cup mushrooms, large tomato, 3 breakfast sausages and 2 teaspoons butter) = 837calories.) You probably don't have a weight issue you need to consider, but I think it doesn't hurt to be aware.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.