Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Maggi Toast Topping

Posted by kerry61 
Maggi Toast Topping
October 15, 2009 02:21AM
When I was growing up, Maggi bought out Tins of this yummy stuff that you spread on toast and then grilled. I was talking about it the other day. Does anyone else remember these and what flavours there was, is there anything on the market now like that?

Cheers
Re: Maggi Toast Topping
October 15, 2009 02:54AM
Was just thinking about these the other day! There was definitely a mushroom one, and I think a cheese one - apart from that, I can't remember. I think this would have been in the 70's ?

Margaret
October 15, 2009 07:13AM
Not a Maggi toast topper, but if you can find some Portugese sardines, mash them on toast with a few drops of sherry vinegar. Pop them under the grill until they are all bubbly and then eat. Magic!!

-- Karl

-----------------------------------
What Karl & Fiona have been cooking up!
[edibleplanet.wordpress.com]
October 15, 2009 11:26PM
Going off on a Tangent here, I have used many kinds of vinegars in the past but have never come across sherry vinegar? and Portugese Sardines, I love sardines and usually by the King Oscar brand, they are small and delicious unlike those others you can get. One of my favs is Sardines and cheese grilled on vogels.
October 16, 2009 03:20AM
Arguably the best sardines come from Portugal - they aren't really small, but they have an amazing flavour.

Sherry vinegar is used a lot in Spanish cooking. They make a lot of sherry in Spain and I guess it is much the same as wine vinegar being used a lot in France/Italy and cider vinegar being used a lot in the UK. Sherry vinegar is dark brown and has a real sweetness. Not as intense as balsamic, but more than red wine vinegar.

I was going to say that in NZ we'd be using beer vinegar, but then I remembered my Mum's big bottle of brown malt vinegar...

-- Karl

-----------------------------------
What Karl & Fiona have been cooking up!
[edibleplanet.wordpress.com]
October 16, 2009 05:02PM
Oh goodness,Kerry61, the minute i read your post i could taste them! I had forgotten all about them. Mum used to buy,i think, a chicken one? Oh they were good.
October 17, 2009 02:40AM
Yum, they used to bubble on the toast when they were grilled. I wish they still made them
October 17, 2009 02:48AM
So do I !
May 23, 2012 10:38AM
I remember it well... It would be 40 years since I've had it. I think it was stopped in the mid to late 70's. I actually contacted Maggi about 6 months ago via email. Unfortunately they have no plans to bring it back.... Maybe we could start a facebook page for it to be returned?
Cheers Steve.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.