Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

stuffed eggs?

Posted by Lisa Templeton 
stuffed eggs?
October 18, 2009 10:04PM
Mum used to hard boil eggs and take out the yoke mix it with curry parsley and???? And stuff them with it. My other half and I had these about a year ago and he keeps asking me to make them? I used to help mum make them but can't remember the recipe. Time like this you think of all the things you should have written down!!! Any help wouild be appreciated.
Warm fuzzies
Lisa
Re: stuffed eggs?
October 18, 2009 10:05PM
Mayo.
October 18, 2009 10:57PM
or Butter or thick cream. We skimmed or own cream from the house cow milk.

Jean
October 18, 2009 11:39PM
I use the stuffed egg recipe from the Edmond's recipe book. If you need a copy of the recipe let me know and I will PM you.

Cheers,
Marnie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2009 12:06AM by Marnie.
October 19, 2009 07:58AM
Black pepper too and a tiny sprinkling of Paprika on top for colour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2009 07:59AM by Maryloo.
October 19, 2009 09:23AM
I always use curry powder, mayo ,milk ,chives or parsley and finely chopped onion pepper and salt yum.
October 19, 2009 09:32AM
I probably do the same as Rayles, but without the onion.
October 19, 2009 08:44PM
Sliced olive on paprika on top

Bev M
October 19, 2009 10:22PM
Sounds like curried eggs. Pretty sure its in Edmonds- specially the older editions. As I recall the yolk is mixed with mayo (would be VERY good with that Japanese cupi or baby mayo), parsley and often piped back into the whites. I like these a lot.
October 20, 2009 09:34AM
I am pretty sure mum made them the same way as Rayles. Thanks everyone. I will definately be giving these a go!!!
Warm Fuzzies
Lisa
October 20, 2009 11:36AM
Mum adds, curry powder, mayo,pepper to hers...
October 21, 2009 12:18AM
They were de riguer at all 1970s functions and I loved them. My Mum used to make them for "ladies a plate" do's all the time. But not so fashionable now but just as delicious. Aren't people silly to have food fashions!

Bring back the stuffed eggs and Devils on Horseback and Cheeseballs I say!

Followed by Cinnamon Oysters and Chocolate Eclairs.

October 21, 2009 12:38AM
And deep fried camembert (or just camembert really), and shrimp cocktails,

But not wine coolers (the wine + fruitjuice kind) - that was a BAD idea!

-- Karl

-----------------------------------
What Karl & Fiona have been cooking up!
[edibleplanet.wordpress.com]
October 21, 2009 01:15AM
I did stuffed eggs for a function earlier this year, and they flew off the plate like a pig in heat. I agree re food fashions, if something is good we should still enjoy it, not just jump on the trendy bandwagon. One thing that has really got to me, but I think it has improved recently, is adding chilli to everything. I like chilli, but I was getting sick of everything being served with chilli sauces etc.

Have to confess to downing a few wine coolers in the day, do they still sell them? They were terrible. And I remember the old father in law with his cask wine, gosh it was a really rough white, was it Corbans Liebestraum? That was rugged !! Oh and Montana Blenheimer was another rough white.. That of course was in my young silly days, ie last week. But they used to get a bit of a nudge.
For nostalgia sake a couple of months ago I bought a cask of Vellutto Rosso (sp??), and we used to really knock that back, and they still sell it - and it tastes the same - that actually wasn't too bad for a cask red.

Barbara Streisand is required now........ Memories, like the... blah blah blah blahhhhhhhhh

October 21, 2009 06:23AM
Miami Wine Cooler was what I took to late teenage parties!
Blenheimer/Liebestraum/Wohnschneider?/Country/Classic - all cask whites I enjoyed in my time.

Yes I would not want them back again I am afraid nor the Marque Spew!

October 21, 2009 09:06PM
Irene, did you live in Hamilton last week, too? smiling smiley Our paths probably crossed on more than one occasion as I used to do all the things you did. Velutto Rosso was a must in the kitchen - it provided the wine for the beef bourguignon, the tipple while cooking it, and was served with the meal, too. And I confess to really liking those wine coolers. They seemed light and easy to drink on a hot day. Many an office Christmas Ball was held at the Claudelands Showgrounds with Johnny Corban and his band providing the music. Thick slices of ham, crayfish and shrimp cocktails were nearly always part of the buffet served at about 10pm. And didn't we all look beautiful in our long ball gowns and the men in their Tuxedos.
October 21, 2009 09:18PM
Hamilton reminisces..... there was a coffee lounge opened upstairs in Ward Street (cnr of Ward and Worley) and a once a week lunch treat during the working week was lunch there and a shrimp cocktail.
And the Woolworths had a cafe and they made the best egg topped scones.

When I worked in the actual town I was working at Royal Insurance who were in Caro Street, an Accountants in Garden Place and down at the Dairy Company cnr London and Victoria. And then Trust Bank in Victoria and the Trust Bank Loan Shop Ward St / Centreplace shops. I have always been a bit of a job hopper but stabilised with maturity, maybe !!

Ha, remember the restaurants.. Gerards down Ulster St, where Lodge is in Hamilton North, now that was a restaurant to be seen at and the old Education Board building down London St.. there was another place to be seen at down there, a restaurant on the 3rd or 4th floor - I remember their fishermans baskets !!

Warble, warble... memorieeeeeeeeeeees smiling smiley

Gosh imagine if you turned up at someones bbq / party now with a wine cask !!
October 21, 2009 10:17PM
Irene Field Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gosh imagine if you turned up at someones bbq /
> party now with a wine cask !!

It's almost worth trying, just to see the looks on people's faces
"What?! It's Blenheimer. I got the good stuff!"

grinning smiley

-- Karl

-----------------------------------
What Karl & Fiona have been cooking up!
[edibleplanet.wordpress.com]
October 21, 2009 10:35PM
What about Blue Nun, Cold Duck and Rochdale Cider!!!!!!!!!!
October 21, 2009 11:44PM

Blackberry Nip and Pimms No. 1 Cup ??????

*reaching for the plastic bucket*
October 22, 2009 12:06AM
Ha! My abiding wine memory goes back to the days before cask wine and 6 o'clock closing still reigned supreme. To celebrate our first wedding anniversary I had bought a bottle of sauternes. We were feeling the height of sophistication at dinner time in our tiny two room fire station flat. Hubby put on his best wine waiter act, emulating the waiter at a plooty hotel dinner on our honeymoon a year before. With a flourish he pulled the cork, the wet bottle slid through his fingers, smash! on the concrete floor ...
October 22, 2009 04:03AM
Pimms - I quite like this actually!

Yes it would be funny to turn up at a classy event with a cask, I am not sure I could carry it off though. Sort of like offering instant coffee at a dinner party or cheese slices on the cheeseboard. I quite like the odd smoked cheese slice actually so I wouldn't mind (shameful I know!)
October 22, 2009 05:41AM
Hey, I still drink Pimms occasionally. A large jug (filled with mint and cucumber) on a hot day around the pool just hits the spot.

Cheese slices on a cheese board - now that would have guests doing a double take! Although my son would demolish them before anyone gets a look - he loves them.
October 22, 2009 09:43AM
remember the Chesdale little cheese triangles.. they were yum !!
October 22, 2009 01:34PM
We still buy the triangles for Trent, Irene. They are not Chesdale though, they are made by some Scandinavian company. I can't remember the name but I can picture the label - it has a smiling cow with a bell hanging around it's neck....
October 22, 2009 08:33PM
New World had some blackberry and blueberry nips on special several months ago and I imagined them to be like a syrup, thick and sweet. I bought a bottle of the blueberry one and it is like coloured water with an indiscernible flavour. It's been sitting in the fridge ever since. But on Wednesday I made my Easy-as Christmas cake and as well as a cup of orange juice and a cup of bourbon, I put in half a cup of blueberry nip. I don't think it's made that much difference; the bourbon has certainly overridden the blueberry flavour, but at least I know the blueberry nip has not been wasted. I think I'll use it to replace half the fruit juice in baking whenever juice is called for.
October 22, 2009 10:55PM
Lynette: La Vache qui Rit! My daughters loved them over forty years ago. They came in tiny cubes then, foil wrapped with a red cellophane tag to open them. As do the triangles.
October 22, 2009 11:10PM
I remember having those Scandinavian ones every morning when we were in Italy as part of our breakfast, very yummy but soft like a spread almost. However the good old Chesdale... I remember collecting the stickers that came in the pack. And then they progressed to adventurous flavours, which were oh so trendsetting.. green onion, smoked cheese, an assortment of the triangles in one pack.

Lynette you wouldn't remember as obviously you were just a twinkle, but when we first came to NZ I remember Mum being horrified at the lack of food choices in the supermarket. NZ certainly has changed.
October 22, 2009 11:15PM
I'm right with you, Lorna, on the blackberry and blueberry nips. Not even close to the strong fruit flavours they used to have. One company in Nelson (and am wondering if it is the same one who produce the weak 'nips') used to make a fabulous cherry brandy, everytime I was in the vicinity I would make a point of driving out and buying some. I used it to add to all sorts of things, sadly, no more.
Aaah, the good old days.

ps. I won a bottle of the blackberry nip and after a taste we decided that maybe we could add some to a fruit salad, couldn't think of any other use for it.
October 22, 2009 11:36PM
I make a very good boysenberry liqueur by packing a jar full of fresh boysenberries, covering them in vodka and leaving to steep for a couple of months. I then strain and add sugar syrup to taste. This makes a very strongly berry flavoured liqueur; in fact it’s quite dangerously drinkable stuff (in so much as you can’t taste the alcohol at all).
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.