Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

stuffed eggs?

Posted by Lisa Templeton 
Re: stuffed eggs?
October 23, 2009 01:32AM
Sounds great, Virgil. Maybe it would work with frozen berries as well.

I once did something similar with damson plums and gin. I had them in an enormous jar and they sat in the back of a cupboard for ages...alright, I'll admit it...2 or 3 years. The back of that cupboard was accessible only on hands and knees, that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it. Both the plums and the liquid were deeeelicious.
October 24, 2009 04:09AM
Damson and sloe gin both seem quite revered by people who make them. I'd be dead keen to give it a go - can you get Damson's or Sloe's in NZ? I've only ever seen them used and discussed in the UK.

-- Karl

-----------------------------------
What Karl & Fiona have been cooking up!
[edibleplanet.wordpress.com]
October 24, 2009 01:59PM
Stephanie, you were spot on. The cheese is La Vache qui Rit (The Laughing Cow). I bought another circle of it when I did my groceries today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2009 04:29AM by Lynette.
October 24, 2009 11:22PM
Damsons are available in NZ but not readily available. maybe at markets and if you have contacts or through advertising a bit like Seville oranges. Don't know anything about sloe's.

Jean
October 25, 2009 02:38AM
I friend had introduced me to damson gin, her damson plum supply came from a farmer friend who had a huge old tree growing on their property.

I looked around for ages before I finally found some at a flea market stall. It was before the farmer's market really got going in our area. Some of the flea markets have some excellent fruit and vegetable produce.
October 25, 2009 11:54AM
Damson trees are worth growing. Self-fertile, prolific, not too big and the fruit make the best jam in the world.
October 25, 2009 10:13PM
'The Damson Collection' in Hawke's Bay have just started going to the Farmer's Market here and their products are delicious. Jam and jelly are available at the market as well as two products which are being sold more widely: a damson paste and a liqueur.
October 26, 2009 05:13AM
I have only just read this thread, so sorry to ask so late in the conversation, but we have loads of eggs (10 hens) and I grew up in a land of no stuffed eggs. My question is, how do you get the yolk out of the egg? Do you slice the hard boiled egg in half, then remove the yolk, make your 'stuffing' and put it back in the indentation?
October 26, 2009 05:37AM
That's exactly how you do it. Cut your hard boild egg in half lengthways not across so both halves are the same.
October 26, 2009 09:01AM
I made these for hubby last night! Well you would think I had given him a million dollars! What a happy man! Thank you so much for your help!
Next time I will make my own mayonaise like mum used to with condensed milk. They were nice and all were eaten but they were not quite as good as the ones mum used to make!!
Warm Fuzzies
Lisa
December 05, 2009 09:13PM
went to a bbq yesterday where we all brought a plate. Not only were there stuffed eggs; someone brought devils on horse back sparking a debate as to whether it should be dates or prunes wrapped in bacon and with or without chutney. Guests brought along quite an eclectic selection of food - sushi; treacle tart; pavlova.
Karl, pm me next time that you're coming over to Queenstown, I have a bottle of sloe gin that has been lurking amongst the bottles of liqueurs for over ten years and every now and then a brave soul agrees to a taste.
December 06, 2009 09:14AM
Prunes in bacon it should be I think and they are Devils on horseback. oysters in bacon are angels on horseback. Both are yummy but totally different tastes of course.
December 06, 2009 09:24AM
meganp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Karl, pm me next time that you're coming over to
> Queenstown, I have a bottle of sloe gin that has
> been lurking amongst the bottles of liqueurs for
> over ten years and every now and then a brave soul
> agrees to a taste.

What a nice offer! I consider myself a brave soul smiling smiley

-- Karl

-----------------------------------
What Karl & Fiona have been cooking up!
[edibleplanet.wordpress.com]
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.