Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Crumbed Schnitzel - method of cooking

Posted by J1 
J1
Crumbed Schnitzel - method of cooking
February 15, 2016 09:49PM
If you're having crumbed schnitzel, how do you cook it? A smear of oil/fat in the pan or quite a bit of oil/fat, or deep fry? Or in the oven? If in the oven, any oil/ fat? Or under the grill? Or....?

What breadcrumb mixture do you use? Lately I've been using Pam's Sage & Onion Stuffing Mix as my breadcrumbs for schnitzel. - works well and is flavoursome.

What size schnitzel pieces do you prefer to deal with? Years ago, I used to leave mine pretty much the size I bought them as but nowadays I cut them into approx. hand-sized pieces - much easier to deal with.
Re: Crumbed Schnitzel - method of cooking
February 15, 2016 10:20PM
I almost always use Panko crumbs, basically because I like the texture.
I dust with flour, then in egg and then in the crumbs.
Pan fry in a mixture of butter and olive oil, probably half and half and I do find they need a reasonable amount of oil/fat in order to cook the way we like them.
I will cut them if they are too big for the pan but otherwise just cook them as is.
Schnitzel with coleslaw and lemon wedges is popular in our house. smiling smiley
February 15, 2016 10:23PM
Ditto, Helen !
February 15, 2016 10:28PM
The crumbs I use vary, whether for schnitzels or fish. If I have home made Garlic bread left over from a meal, I will let it dry and then crumb that up. I had some Crostini a friend brought for a bbq - which were really thick and there were a lot left over. They got crumbed up. Sometimes it is stale bread - I just let it dry rather than toasting and then crumb that. They all get frozen.

And when I don't have a home made supply, for Schnitzel I use plain breadcrumbs (as opposed to Panko which I use for fish).

We buy marinated pork steaks (they are usually a circular shape), and cut them in half and then pound with a tenderiser. I find Beef tends to be dry (in my mind anyway), and prefer to do Pork (most common) or Chicken Schnitzels.

Cooking... a little bit of oil in the pan.
February 15, 2016 11:16PM
Ditto, Helen and Beverley!
February 15, 2016 11:22PM
Great minds think alike, Stephanie smileys with beer
February 16, 2016 12:37AM
I use day old breadcrumbs to which I add grated rind of two lemons,half cup of chopped parsley and half cup of grated parmesan cheese.I use about 2cm of olive oil.
February 16, 2016 01:08AM
Add me to the list of flour/egg/panko and quite a lot of olive oil. I use a non-stick pan too. Most of the time I fold the pieces in half with capers and cheese in the middle, then crumb.
Bev
February 16, 2016 02:18AM
I like panko crumbs and also fry them in a mixture of oil and butter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2016 02:18AM by Bev.
February 16, 2016 02:37AM
Rather than crumbing, I tend to make good old-fashioned beef olives with schnitzel, but some interesting ideas here - particularly yours Jenna with capers and cheese which I look forward to trying. I too use panko crumbs for crumbing other things, particularly fish- they tend to be crisper and less likely to go soggy.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
February 16, 2016 09:37AM
I used wholegrain breadcrumbs (fine) and I always do Chicken schnitzel (Flour, egg& milk and breadcrumbs) and I put a good coating of oil in the pan so it coats half the way up the thickness of the chicken. I always use kitchen towel to drain the oil afterwards.

I've also been known to use weetbix as a breadcrumb in times of need !! Lets just say it's interesting

I also do sliced eggplant schnitzel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2016 09:38AM by IngridO.
February 16, 2016 11:49AM
I use egg and seasoned breadcrumbs pref Panko, Pan fried with a reasonable amount of oil/butter then, generally use in parmigiana. Mind you the family is quite partial to the beef olives
February 16, 2016 08:29PM
I use whatever dried crumbs I have available from the various sliced grain breads that I like. If I'm short of dried crumbs when I need them, I crumb a slice or two of fresh bread in my little Moulinex blender then dry them for a few minutes in the microwave, but I do prefer the oven dried crumbs. I always crumb the bread before drying them as it's so much quicker than drying the slices whole, and less messy, too.

I do the usual flour/egg/crumb coating, sometimes with various herb or spice seasonings added, and fry the schnitzel in enough oil to generously coat the bottom of the frying pan and I drain on paper towels.

When I use the schnitzel for beef olives, I spread a small amount of Olive Grove felafel mix on the pieces before rolling up and securing with a toothpick if necessary. A can of flavoured tomatoes poured over then baked makes a quick and tasty meal.
J1
February 16, 2016 09:16PM
If you're using a reasonable amount of oil, do you keep it and reuse it or discard it? The only oil I keep in the house is NZ evoo and anything that uses more than 1/4 cup of it at a time sends alarm bells ringing in my head (for health and $$ reasons).
February 16, 2016 10:50PM
I always use either Grapeseed Oil or Rice Bran Oil.
February 17, 2016 05:16AM
My mother always used to panfry schnitzel and it was delicious, but at the Auckland schnitzel restaurant Der Metz they deep fry it and that is also amazing - crispy on the outside and moist on the inside.
J1
February 17, 2016 05:54AM
Yes, I had deep fried schnitzel at a restaurant once and thought it was excellent.
February 18, 2016 12:24PM
To cook my schnitzel i generally shallow fry it. On the rare occasion, ive BBQ'd it.
February 18, 2016 09:04PM
I do mine like Helen with a creamy mushroom sauce mashed potatoes & some greens & a wedge of lemon.
I like the sound of others here so will try them. Good topic tx
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.