Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Scrambled Eggs

Posted by J1 
J1
Scrambled Eggs
March 25, 2016 06:17AM
If you're making scrambled eggs, do you prefer to make them quite broken up, or do you prefer big clots of barely broken up scrambled egg?

I prefer the big clots. I've really struggled to find a photo on the internet of what I mean but, finally, here's one that shows them pretty well (scroll down the page until you get to "Fluffy Truffled Scrambled Eggs" ) [www.frenchrevolutionfood.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2016 06:18AM by J1.
Re: Scrambled Eggs
March 25, 2016 08:05AM
Yes I prefer them like that too. I tip into the pan and just run my spatula through it as is sets, kind of making ruffles of egg and pushing them to one side and letting the uncooked egg run into the space left behind.
March 25, 2016 09:21AM
Either way for me - I don't mind! Although I believe either way, they are both different eating experiences.
Regards,
Dawn.
March 25, 2016 10:26AM
I prefer big bits of scrambled eggs, definitely not sloppy but not rubbery either. I cook them like Griz does.
March 25, 2016 09:47PM
Either way, but preferably with big soft clots like me.
J1
March 25, 2016 09:52PM
It's good that you're all big soft clots! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2016 09:52PM by J1.
March 25, 2016 10:57PM
Kone and J1 - I think you are Easter egging us on...............
D1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2016 12:37AM by Dawn.
March 28, 2016 10:15AM
Soft Clots United.
March 28, 2016 10:20PM
Soft-clots for a big softee!
March 29, 2016 12:24AM
As long as I make my "scribbled" eggs the way Bill Granger does then I'm in egg heaven. No runny liquid allowed. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
March 29, 2016 10:53PM
I only seem to get runny liquid when I turn my back for a moment or two and the eggs instantly overcook into stuff that looks like limp popcorn sitting in the milk someone spilled into the pan. Yuk!
J1
March 30, 2016 12:54AM
You need to watch some Youtube videos Lorna smiling smiley

I've just grabbed this one randomly... [www.youtube.com]
.....or....[www.youtube.com]
etc
March 30, 2016 02:05AM
Like Marnie I'm a Bill Granger method convert. For years I avoided scrambling eggs because I always ended up with rubber or porridge, but this video [www.stuff.co.nz] , changed my eggy life.
Lynne2
March 30, 2016 10:52AM
A slight aside. Has anyone bought the microwave scrambled egg cooker that The Warehouse sells. They advertise it and the eggs look beautiful and soft.They don't give it a name so I can't check the price online.Just wondering what it is like.
March 30, 2016 09:59PM
Thank you, J1, but I can cook scrambled eggs. The 'problem' arises rarely but I must say that cooking scrambled eggs for 1 person is somewhat different to cooking for 2, 3 or 4 people, using 2 eggs per person, as seems the norm.

When cooking for 1, using only 2 eggs, the volume (or lack of) means that they must be watched like a hawk and gently turned almost continuously to avoid overcooked egg. The jug has already boiled and the tea is brewing. The toast is toasting. Problem: toast done, stop turning eggs to butter toast, return to over-cooked eggs. Or make and butter the toast first and have cold toast (who ever coined the phrase 'as warm as toast' obviously never made any. Within 20 seconds of taking toast out of the toaster, it's cold!) It's almost like 'which came first, the egg or the chicken', but in this case is which do I do first - the eggs or the toast?
PS. Toast kept warm is disgusting!
March 30, 2016 10:01PM
Lorna try warming the plate. This will keep your toast warm.
March 31, 2016 02:19AM
I prefer big clots (sounds awful doesn't it!!) I make sure I take the eggs off the heat when they are just starting to come together - when they still look shiny and not all dried up.

The heat from the pan tends to finish them off quite nicely
March 31, 2016 02:22AM
"Clots" does sound awful, I agree. The more usual noun in this context is "curds", which is much more appetising.
April 01, 2016 09:55PM
Big clots and never over cooked - its a fine line getting it right.
I find I need to control myself and only stir/separate a few times and off the heat when they are done.
Vanessa
April 07, 2016 11:54PM
I'm reading some M.F.K.Fisher essays and she says: Put 8 eggs in a cold cast iron pan and stir in a cup of heavy cream. Turn on the heat and stir gently. The process should take half an hour. (!) This is not an exact quotation but just the general idea. Lovely, but few of us have the constitution or the time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.