Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Onglet or Hanger Steak

Posted by Heather F 
Onglet or Hanger Steak
September 18, 2016 06:14AM
Hi All, I thought I'd let you know about my experiment last night cooking this.
I bought a piece of Onglet steak at the Central Market yesterday ($26/kg, so it's not cheap) and I must say it does look like what we used to feed to the dogs lol. It has a coarse loose looking texture.
I wanted to have a go at doing it sous vide although I don't have a machine. I improvised with a snap log bag, a pair of miniature tongs, thermometer, simmer mat, a bulldog clip, a rubber band and of course a pot.
I put the steak in the bag with some garlic, olive oil, thyme and a little salt and squeezed as much of the air out as I could.
I used hot tap water and got the temp up to 54d. I then used the rubber band to attach the mini tongs to the pot handle, slid the thermometer through the closed tongs into the pot and found I needed the clip to raise the tip of the thermometer off the bottom of the pot a bit more. The bag floated in the pot so I turned the lid upside down and that worked to keep it down.
The temp did eventually creep up to 60d on the stove top so I had to guesstimate the cooking time, and I think it was about an hour and a half all together. I took the steak out of the bag, patted it dry and gave it a quick sear in a hot pan to get some colour on it.

End result: it was tasty, and tender - not melt-in-the-mouth, but tender enough, and juicy. One piece was plenty for two.
It was a bit of faffing around but quite fun for an experiment. I'm not much of a steak eater and I think I prefer the flavour of this rather than the usual rump/porterhouse etc.
J1
Re: Onglet or Hanger Steak
September 18, 2016 11:44PM
I hadn't heard of onglet/hanger steak so looked it up. Close to skirt - you could say it's a hanger for the skirt grinning smiley
September 18, 2016 11:55PM
Hi J1 - I looked it up too and it said it hangs off the diaphragm which is why there's only 2 per animal.Apparently it also used to be called 'butcher's steak' as they used to take it home for themselves.
September 19, 2016 12:47AM
I too had looked it up and also found there is another steak cut called 'Flateron' a flat muscle off the shoulder blade, sometimes called a petite tender or a top blade steak. I read that these steaks, skirt, flank hangar and flatiron have in more recent years all made their way up the steak food chain, having once been destined for mince. However, this info is from an American site [www.goodfoodstories.com]
Regards,
Dawn.
J1
September 19, 2016 04:18AM
A flatiron for the skirt before you put it on the hanger Dawn smileys with beer
September 19, 2016 04:33AM
Ha ha J1............and prior to it going on the hangar was it covering the rump? confused smiley
D.
J1
September 19, 2016 09:57AM
No Dawn, the flanksmiling bouncing smiley
September 19, 2016 10:13AM
OK - then it must be a mini-skirt. grinning smiley
D.
Really funny because I've just realised I spelled it 'flatiron' and hadn't realised.............. I'm totally innocent but the last laugh is on me!!eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2016 10:36AM by Dawn.
September 19, 2016 10:38PM
Nothing like a bit of humour to start my day!
J1
September 19, 2016 11:44PM
Dear Dawn, your flatiron spelling is correct (although your flateron isn't spinning smiley sticking its tongue out )
September 20, 2016 12:19AM
Dearest J1,
Thank you for pointing that out - and to think I thought it was YOU being funny!

Must be something in the air or the water in my neck of the woods to cause me all this confusion?
Regards,
Dawn.
September 21, 2016 05:46AM
Heather F just wanted to say you have my total admiration for your ingenuity! That's excellent No. 8 wire cuisinesmiling smiley.
September 21, 2016 06:48AM
Thanks Carolyn C lol - I've been over in Oz for years, but you can take the Kiwi out of the country but you can't take the country out of the Kiwi! and I don't want to spend $200+ for a sous vide machine that has a 10L capacity (imagine how big it must be), that I'd only use occasionally.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.