Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Passionfruit Impossible Pie

Posted by Heather F 
Passionfruit Impossible Pie
February 08, 2017 09:06AM
Hi Guys, I'd like to make this [www.taste.com.au] but using 8 fresh passionfruit at between $1.20 - $2 each makes it way too expensive. If I was to substitute tinned passionfruit pulp and reduce the amount of sugar, by say 1/3c, and perhaps add a dessertspoon of lemon juice to sharpen it up a bit, would it still work?
Tks in advance.

(BTW: to all the Kiwis regretting the lack of a summer, right now in Adelaide it's 42d, an overnight min temp tonight of about 28d, then 41 tomorrow, and 39 until Sunday - bring on winter!)
Re: Passionfruit Impossible Pie
February 08, 2017 09:57AM
Im no baker but I would say it would work. Im guessing the reason for the passionfruit is purely for flavour so Id even do a bit of a taste test along the to get the fruity flavour you would like.

Is the pulp sweetened? I bought some passionfruit sauce for a pavlova - it was awful - so so sweet. I guess it looked good though and in small doses was ok. I tried to freeze the leftover sauce and it wouldnt freeze - doesnt that mean it was full of sugar? Natural or added Im not sure.

Auckland was 27 degrees yesterday and we thought that was hot! 40 would be so overwhelming - I dont know how you cope - stay indoors with air conditioning Im guessing.

Vanessa
Re: Passionfruit Impossible Pie
February 08, 2017 12:46PM
I've got a laden passionfruit vine and I'm waiting impatiently for the fruit to start to ripen....need some sun!

Taste your passionfruit pulp first, it's usually done in syrup I think so you are on the right track to reduce the amount of sugar in the recipe.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.