Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Cook Book for fledgling

Posted by lynley 
Cook Book for fledgling
February 11, 2010 01:26AM
My dearest darling 19 year old Hannah has left the nest to go flatting for the first time - what would be the one must-have cook book that you could gift a first-time flatter? She is a bit beyond "food for flatters" and quite likes fresh cuisine (maybe asian styled soups and curries etc) but is also quite partial to traditional cooking. I would quite like a book that covers a lot of types of cooking styles and techniques rather than a regional book - aaargh - so many to choose from!!
(I was thinking best of Annabel Langbein or Stephanie Alexanders tome - but they are quite expensive and never seem to be on the sale table!)

thanks foodlovers!

Four legs good, two legs bad. George Orwell
Re: Cook Book for fledgling
February 11, 2010 04:25AM
Fifty (yes, fifty!) years ago when I went flatting my mother gave me The Constance Spry Cookery Book - it is still in regular use. Strive for the Stephanie Alexander tome - it would be today's equivalent and she will use it and value it forever. Write in it! My mother did and I value that as well.
February 11, 2010 04:33AM
Alison & Simon Holst's Quick and Easy Vegetarian Recipes has some really nice recipes in it from a variety of cultures.
February 11, 2010 05:01AM
Dare I say the Edmonds Cook Book? Very good for basic baking as we all know. I think the Best of Annabel Langbein is very good, or Alison Holst Meals without Meat.
February 11, 2010 05:16AM
One of my favourite cook books (with lots of recipes in it that you actually cook, not just think about) is "Jo Seagar cooks". It has quite a good range with breakfast, soups, baking, nibbles, main dishes and side dishes and of course puddings. I bought this book for my mother-in-law who loves to cook and copied quite a few recipes for a friend who needs some inspiration to cook (and wanted some new and quick ideas).

In the end I bought the book for myself as well as I kept returning to it. It was published in 2006 so probably isn't as expensive as her later ones and (I think) is the best book she has put out to date.

When you give Hannah the book, make sure you write the date in it (along with your message). I just pulled out the cookbook my Mum gave to me when I bought my first house and its dated 1992. It was called "Best of Cooking for New Zealanders".
Cat
February 11, 2010 10:43AM
Yes meals without meat, or Alison's microwave cookbook - simple but good; also 'one is fun' by Delia Smith - easy to increase quantities but mostly quick and simple - and not expensive.
February 11, 2010 09:12PM
Donna Hay's Modern classics #1 for savoury and #2 for sweet or any of the ones she did for Marie Claire - I tend to think the latest ones she has done are not so good. she does photos foe every single recipe which can be helpful.
The best of annabel langbein - one I refer to all the time
Julie le clercs cafe food compendium
Allison Holsts red book and gold book always have a recipe for everything - that woman is amazing, she had recipe's for sushi back in the 80's when no one even knew what it was.

Debbie
[danceswithkumara.blogspot.com]
February 11, 2010 09:30PM
Hi - all - many thanks for the replies - death, taxes and foodlovers - something you can always rely on! I gave her older sister my earlier edition of Stephanie's tome - so I think I will go for that, there is one on trademe starting at $80, I think it is modern enough to inspire - yet sensible enough to instruct....glad to be an antipodean! I was given the Radio and TV Cookbook when I left home - the self saucing choc pud page is stuck together through repetitive use - but I know the recipe off pat these days! thanks again

February 11, 2010 10:59PM
Good! And goodluck with the auction, Lynley. Someone said: (Oscar Wilde?) I often regret my economies but I never regret my extravagancies.
Bev
February 12, 2010 12:22AM
Hi Lynley, how about a Sophie Gray cookbook?
Bev
February 14, 2010 03:39AM
I managed to get a Classic Edmonds second hand - and won the auction for the Stephanie Alexander - lucky girl - so taking the wonderful advice above - I am going to spread a few notes throughout the book, so that Hannah will find them sometime in the future - cool idea....she also received a copy of the book I put together for a school fundraiser.....so apart from cookaholic fairy dust - that's all I can do!! Thanks friends...I have nothing further to declare except my genius...

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.