Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Things to ponder... Cakes V Biscuits

Posted by Vanessa45 
Things to ponder... Cakes V Biscuits
September 23, 2017 12:33AM
Th random things we think about...

So cakes and biscuits are made similar ingredients - eggs, flour, butter, sugar.

Biscuits are small bitesized treats that usually (Not always) have the crunch/bite factor.
Cakes are spongy and moist.

SO why do biscuits go soft over time and cakes go hard, dry and stale?

Help me out here - its really bugging me!!!

Vanessa
Re: Things to ponder... Cakes V Biscuits
September 26, 2017 10:38AM
I agree - it's a good question. If nobody on the forum comes up with a good explanation, you could send it to Jim Mora's panel on National Radio - they have a 'quick question' section where they refer this kind of thing to experts!
September 26, 2017 10:51AM
A simple google produced this result. Seems plausible.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]
September 26, 2017 11:48AM
Thanks Griz - I had to read it a few times to get my head around it and clearly its not a simple answer but a combination of many factors but interesting never the less.

Ha Ha I read on and have been a victim of the myth below whist in England as a Nanny - LOL it totally worked on the kids.

Can dock leaves really sooth nettle stings?
No, the myth of dock leaves soothing nettle stings arose because of parents’ desires to find something close by with which to placate their stung child.

Totally BUSTED!!!!

Vanessa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2017 11:48AM by Vanessa45.
September 27, 2017 01:03AM
Vanessa, I used to do that as a kid at home on the farm - as I recall, it's not the leaves themselves that do the trick but the milky white substance that comes out of the stalks.

It seemed to work perfectly well - maybe a case of mind over matter!

Regards,

Barbara Anne
September 28, 2017 11:23PM
As I recall, the milky white substance came from the stalks of dandelions, not dock leaves. I remember well placing, what was to me, a huge dock leaf along my leg and loving the cool feel of it on a leg stinging from walking through nettles. If we thought it worked, it did! Pooh to what the 'experts' are now telling us.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.