Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Favourite homemade biscuit

Posted by helen 
Favourite homemade biscuit
November 11, 2017 06:46AM
We had a bit of fun on Radio Live this morning discussing our favourite homemade biscuit.
Thinking of all the classics such as Anzac, shortbread, yo yos, afghans, chocolate chippie etc...
From the texts in the most popular was Anzac.
My choice would have to be shortbread I think.

Which one would you pick?

Oh and by the way we had an email telling us that we were contributing to obesity by discussing biscuits....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2017 07:01AM by helen.
Re: Favourite homemade biscuitom th
November 11, 2017 07:02AM
Yes I heard you discussing homemade biscuits this morning but didn't hear all the suggestions or the result of your poll.

My (and our son's) favourite would have to be chocolate chip biscuits (with decent chunks of chocolate rather than little chips), followed by shortbread.

Did anyone mention gingernuts?

Regards,

Barbara Anne
Bev
Re: Favourite homemade biscuit
November 11, 2017 07:21AM
Shortbread (Helen’s recipe) would be my favourite, for my husband it is hokey Pokey biscuits.

So discussing biscuits contributes to obesity......what next......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2017 07:40AM by Bev.
November 11, 2017 07:21AM
There was no mention of homemade gingernuts at all.
It went Anzac, afghan and then similar numbers for shortbread, chocolate chip and yo yos.
November 11, 2017 07:38AM
Custard Kisses that used to be on the back of the old Edmonds cornflour packets.

And "oh dear" about the obesity email !!!!! I just hope you ignored the email totally for goodness sake!

Clare
November 11, 2017 09:06AM
.......and you thought you would worsen obesity by starting this thread.....good on you.......

afghans.
November 11, 2017 07:56PM
My favourite home made biscuit is still Nellies Gingernuts from this site. I wonder where Nellie is now.

Hmm. Just had a look at the recipe and the sugar to butter ratio has been changed and we now have to use a branded egg!
November 11, 2017 11:09PM
I have to have more than one choice and no, I don't really eat a lot of biscuits, I just enjoy what I am eating.
Peanut brownies... Mum and Grandma's old recipe.

Chocolate chippies...the old Edmond's recipe, I think they call them Sante biscuits, as with Barbara Anne, the chocolate needs to be in decent chunks. I've only just realised that maybe the name came from those chocolate sante bars we sometimes had, am not even sure if they are still available.

Shortbread.

I laughed when I read about the email regarding obesity. I think we sometimes need to give up reading rather than discussing things. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
November 12, 2017 06:07AM
It sometimes feels like I can put on weight just by discussing biscuits but I don't think it's actually truesmiling smiley. I hardly ever make biscuits, but when I do they're all so much better than bought ones it's hard to pick a favourite (except with shortbread, which I love but am terrible at making). Think I'm going to have to go for the gingernut.
November 12, 2017 10:23AM
And just to upset the "Contributing to Obesity by Discussing Biscuits" Broadcasting Food Police - I am with Clare and love Custard Kisses/Yoyo's and feel pretty good inside and out when I've had an occasion to have one or two of those homemade goodies! My absolute favourites! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Regards,
Dawn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2017 10:26AM by Dawn.
November 17, 2017 02:10AM
Lorna I am curious about the butter/sugar ratio being changed on the gingernuts.
I have just made them and they are fabulous. What were the initial measures?
Re the branded eggs, that is solely a sponsorship deal to help with foodlovers day to day running costs.
November 17, 2017 08:53PM
Helen, I have just searched for Nellies original post and I can only assume that it was ME that made a mistake in converting her recipe from Imperial to Metric. Her original recipe calls for 5 oz of butter and 8 oz of sugar. The conversions on your website recipe page are closer to the original than my conversions. My apologies for the error and confusion.
November 18, 2017 02:19AM
Oh phew, thanks Lorna. I had hoped they hadn't changed.
Such great biscuits and now that they are back in my radar I think they would be perfect for the girls rowing camp in January. The adults can have them at morning tea time. smiling smiley
November 18, 2017 04:00AM
I agree with Lorna. Nellies ginernuts always go down a treat. I 4x the mixture, then scoop it onto a tray for freezing (using mining ice cream scoops) then freeze in bags and just take out as many as I need. Fresh biscuits with almost no effort. I’ve decided this weekend is to be my Christmas biscuit/shortbread preparation time, to bake in the last week, ready for gifts. Janet
November 18, 2017 08:51PM
Helen, having made the mistake in converting the amounts, I have to say they are absolutely delicious even using the recipe with the incorrect quantities. Seems it's a very forgiving recipe. I also deliberately increased the amount of ginger to 4 tsps as I love my gingernuts very gingery.

Janet or Emma, has predictive text been acting up again? Mining or mini-scoop ice cream scoop? smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2017 08:54PM by Lorna.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.