Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Baking soda on prawns

Posted by Dawn 
Baking soda on prawns
August 26, 2018 01:56AM
I was reading the latest Food magazine this morning and the Fish Restaurant executive chef has a recipe published (Fish's Prawn with Chilli Gremolata and Pancetta). The recipe has whole prawns which are peeled and seasoned with salt and baking soda and then grilled about 30 seconds each side to give them some colour. There are no quantities of salt or baking soda so I presume it would be just the normal pinch or two of each. I have never heard of this method and wonder what would the baking soda do or add to the prawns?
Regards,
Dawn.
Re: Baking soda on prawns
August 26, 2018 03:31AM
I sometimes use the Chinese method of firming up the flesh of prawns by massaging them with a mixture of salt and baking soda (maybe 2 tsp of each for 500g prawns) and leaving for 20 minutes then rinsing very thoroughly. I don't think I'd like to leave the baking soda unrinsed though as I don't like the flavour of it.
August 26, 2018 07:39AM
I think the process that TPANDAV mentions is called 'velveting.' I haven't done it. Too much of a fiddle when I like them just as they are.Is it worth it?
August 26, 2018 09:47AM
As I understand it velveting involves cornflour, rice wine and salt. I’ve done it with prawns and with chicken, it does give a pleasant soft texture but, as with the baking soda and salt method, I don’t cook prawns often enough to have an opinion about the virtues of either technique.

It’s such a treat when I find good Australian prawns that I always give in to my husband’s request for his favourite prawn dish, which involves a marinade of rosemary, garlic, tomatoes and smoked paprika.
August 27, 2018 01:20AM
Thank you TPANDAV - I'd never have thought baking soda firmed up the prawn flesh. We don't eat prawns all that often, but my thoughts were that they are firm by the time they are cooked anyway, but maybe it's a different sort of firmness that the baking soda gives. I certainly wouldn't have thought by sprinkling baking soda over the prawns and then grilling them would have much effect at all and that's all the recipe said to do. There were 10 large prawns in the recipe but you'd think you would need to give them a stir around before grilling them to distribute the baking soda. Maybe that's what most cooks would do anyway.

Stephanie39 I haven't heard of velveting before so I've just learnt another new technique!
Regards,
Dawn.
August 30, 2018 05:51AM
Thanks for this, Ive never heard of it or even thought about this as a method. I love hearing about new (to me) methods.
I usually just toss in a pan or on the BBQ with olive oil, garlic and chilli or drop in to a curry.
Vanessa
August 31, 2018 12:31AM
Somebody once told me to sprinkle baking soda on lambs fry and leave it for half an hour before rinsing off and cooking in the usual way. I couldn't detect any discernible difference and assumed it was because it was lambs fry, and naturally tender anyway, and not sheeps liver, but who knows?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.