Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Fish recipe

Posted by PatMac 
Fish recipe
December 09, 2018 02:09AM
I have to arrange a Christmas Lunch (or Dinner) for 4 Vegetarian adults that eat fish and seafood, plus 2 adults that eat anything including meat...and 2 children aged 14, and 11., who also eat most things. I was thinking about Fish with lovely new potatoes and a selection of salads. I would like something a little special, but not too fussy., and perhaps it could be oven baked to make it easier. Does anyone have any bright ideas please?
Re: Fish recipe
December 09, 2018 02:47AM
What about Salmon. There are a range of wonderful oven baked recipes online
December 09, 2018 03:40AM
A whole side of salmon, baked, is easy and looks impressive. Would you like a recipe?
December 09, 2018 06:18AM
A whole side of salmon is very nice hot smoked on the BBQ. I have a stainless steel smoker box (available from Bunnings for $34.50. You can use the little dishes of meths to cook if you prefer or just stick the smoker box over the BBQ grill bars on med/low until the manuka sawdust starts smoking then put the fish in and close the lid for 20 minutes. You can serve it warm or cold. I can go into the full instructions if you like although I'm pretty sure we had a discussion on this on the forum a while back if you search it. It's very rich so small portions and serve with new potatoes, and aspargus or brocolini or salad.
December 09, 2018 08:32AM
PatMac, I sometimes buy a side of salmon to make a macadamia crusted salmon dish. Danube mentioned about it being rich and I would agree with that. If you would like the recipe I use for the crust don't hesitate to ask.
One Christmas lunch one of the guests was the same as your two vegetarians. A nice piece of salmon was oven baked in foil for her. Everyone was happy.
J1
December 09, 2018 08:01PM
This isn't a grand dish but it is slightly special and definitely not too fussy so just in case...........

Cheese & Herb Crusted Fish

3 fish fillets (e.g. blue cod, tarakihi, cardinal)

Topping:
75g fresh breadcrumbs
3 tbspns chopped fresh mixed herbs, e.g. parsley, thyme, mint, rosemary
zest of 1 lemon
1 clove garlic, crushed
75g cheese, grated
lemon juice or water to dampen, to hold mixture together

Lay fish fillets in single layer in an oven dish. Mix topping ingredients together and press firmly on top of each fish fillet. Bake at 200°C for 8 minutes until crumbs are golden and crispy and the fish is cooked through.
December 09, 2018 09:16PM
That's a good recipe J1, I must try that.
J1
December 10, 2018 05:55AM
Thanks Marylew. I do fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs but it's up to the individual what type of bread they prefer.....
December 10, 2018 07:07AM
Panko crumbs are also nice in J1’s topping. I would also suggest salmon baked in the oven. So easy any leftovers are lovely in a soba noodle salad.

Auto correct is doing my head in. Just as well I checked because it had corrected Panko to Pandora. Grrrrr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2018 07:09AM by Chris.
December 10, 2018 08:57PM
Chris, you might like to go back to the post about whipped butter and bemoan autocorrect there too. I can't make head nor tail of your last sentence in that post. confused smiley

What device are you using? Can't you turn off autocorrect? I have my phone set to give me suggestions as the top of posts, but it's up to me to select or ignore their suggestions. I always have autocorrect turned off.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2018 08:59PM by Lorna.
December 11, 2018 09:42AM
Just looked at the Whipped Butter thread. It should have read ‘would not have bought again’. I obviously did not check myself. I use an iPad or Apple laptop. Will look at turning auto correct off.
December 14, 2018 08:25PM
JI could I do this in a pan on the stove top or on a BBQ?
J1
December 15, 2018 03:08AM
Unlikely because you really can't turn the fish over and I can't see how the topping would cook properly. You could try those methods and maybe finish off under a grill. I'd do a trial run though.....
December 16, 2018 06:11AM
If you would like a fish to BBQ, I love using Hapuka (Grouper) steaks - not fillets. They are cut through the body with the bone in, a horseshoe shape. They are very forgiving on the BBQ, can be flipped a number of times without falling to bits and are a beautiful fish to eat. Expensive though, depends how many you're serving because I do one fish steak per person and it an be $39.00ish per kg and they are quite heavy. To prepare them I put them in a single layer in a container, drizzle them with olive oil, a drizzle of either Worcestershire or balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and quite a bit of chopped parsley. Let them sit for a bit turning occasionally then BBQ on the hotplate until just cooked near the bone, they take a little while because they are pretty dense. I serve with homemade lemon pepper oven wedges and salad.
December 21, 2018 12:32AM
Thank you looks good. Will try,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.