Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Rice Cooker - Convince Me!

Posted by Ancksunamun 
Rice Cooker - Convince Me!
May 25, 2010 01:05AM
I am pondering the idea of buying a Rice Cooker but waver between thinking it's just another appliance I will end up selling and liking the idea of being able to set the rice cooking and leave it. Plus the Jasmine Coconut Rice I make can be a bit mucky so a rice cooker might make things simpler. I have no trouble cooking rice perfectly in the pot so it's not a fix up appliance for me, more a convenience one, possibly.

So! Is it worth buying one, what brand would you recommend and how long does the rice take to cook in a rice cooker? Are they fool proof or not? I don't want to go from great rice to horrid rice and pay $100 for the hassle.

Oh and as an aside, could I try my slow cooker to do the same thing if I really wanted to leave it cooking while I worked?

Ancksunamun

[www.curd-nerd.com]
Your Essential Home Cheese Making Site

[www.growingandgathering.com]
Edible Garden Blog
Re: Rice Cooker - Convince Me!
May 25, 2010 07:01AM
I used to have one and it did a good job, but when it broke after six or so years I did not replace it. I find I can do just as good a job in a saucepan.
May 25, 2010 08:25AM
I use a $10 microwave rice cooker from the Warehouse- it is brilliant.
May 25, 2010 09:13AM
I just cook in a pyrex casserole dish in microwave- would never go back to a pot. Cheers, Chris
May 25, 2010 09:40AM
hi i use my rice cooker all the time it is just easier put it in and let it do its thing i am on to my second cooker wore the first one out
May 25, 2010 10:55AM
I'm same as chrisb, pyrex dish in the microwave. Only need to stir it once and all done. Never felt the need to buy a rice cooker (and I'm the worlds worst person when it comes to buying appliances I really don't need).
May 25, 2010 01:13PM
I also do it like chrisb. No need for a pot. Perfect rice every time.
May 25, 2010 10:16PM
I love my rice cooker BUT I bought (from the Book Depository) The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook as well, which has given me so many recipes and ideas. Yes, you can set it and leave it to cook while you do something else. Two 'rice cooker cups' of rice cook to perfection in about 35-40 minutes for white rice, about 45 for brown. You can preheat your rice cooker and fry any spices before adding rice and water, and you can add whatever you like to the rice, either before or during cooking. There is a basket that fits inside the top so that you don't have to mix everything together, but of course, the juices from the top food do drip onto the rice. They make wonderfully tasty one-pot dinners.
May 26, 2010 12:31AM
I don't own one but don't really see the point. We have rice several times a week and my method of cooking it never fails. 2 cups rice , 3 cups of water. Cover, bring to boil, reduce to simmer (Don't stir)and it's ready 13 minutes later. Fluffy and tender rice, never gluggy.
May 26, 2010 02:21AM
I was given a Sunbeam Steamer which also steams/cooks rice. I LOVE the steamed veges in comparison to cooked in a pot (even the hubby says they taste better) and the rice is perfect everytime! You can set it to start 1 hour in advance and it steams away quietly keeping things warm when its done. I never cook veges or rice in a pot anymore.
May 26, 2010 02:28AM
How do you deal with vegetables which take differing times to cook, Steakm? Do you add them as you go according to time requirements?
May 26, 2010 02:55AM
I don't see the point either and 45 minutes seems an awful long time to cook rice.I do mine in the microwave.One cup rice,two of boiling water and 14 minutes on high.I cover it with cling wrap then and leave it until I'm ready to fluff it up with a fork.It keeps hot for ages covered with a towel!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2010 02:56AM by Toots.
May 27, 2010 02:51AM
Thank you so much for all your replies!

My only method to cook rice currently is the good old stove top and pot as I don't own a microwave (personal decision to not use them) so the Rice Cooker would be the alternative.

I'm not totally convinced which isn't a bad thing. In the past when I haven't been convinced about something my intuition says to leave it until I am and you've saved me a $100 dollars!

Thanks everyone! I'll stick to the old fashioned way for now.

Ancksunamun

[www.curd-nerd.com]

Edible Garden Blog
June 02, 2010 03:01AM
Yes Mommamurf I would do rice first (takes 25 mins) then (usually cause Im still in the kitchen pottering around) I would add the next layer (3 trays come with the steamer) of veges once the rice has about 10-15 mins to go. Or you could set the timer for 15 mins, if not in the kitchen, machine beeps it has done 15 mins then add extra layers and start timer again. I can also preset the steamer to start in an hour, so sometimes when I get really organised I can have the veges sitting ready to go at 4pm then the machine kicks in at 5 and I dont have to watch it. (I have toddlers) so having time with them at 5pm when they start to loose the plot is preferred!!
June 02, 2010 04:07AM
Thanks for that, Steakm. You've actually got me thinking seriously about buying a steamer. We would eat rice at least once a week, and we eat loads of vegetables, so the thought of having them all cooking away happily in the one cooker is very tempting. No more pots and water and things boiling over or boiling dry. I'm always burning the carrots. Well, maybe not always, but often enough! I'll check out prices, brands etc, but it sounds as though the Sunbeam works very well for you. Thanks again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2010 04:08AM by mommamurf.
June 02, 2010 04:09AM
Another thought - can you do potatoes successfully in a steamer? And if you can, how are they for mashing?
June 02, 2010 04:44AM
If you have enough Flybuys the Sunbeam VitaSteam is there from memory. I do the spuds and they are fine, I just transfer them to a bowl to mash, I usually loose the heat here cause I transfer them to a cold metal bowl to mash (I dont think sometimes), maybe plastic or glass would be better (or have a warmed bowl for them to go into). That would be only extra work/dish involved. Just had a look at the Instruction/Recipe book and you can steam fish and chicken and eggs and also makes porridge. Plenty of good receipe ideas - I just found a Baileys Choc Souffle or the Sticky Date Pudding. Time to try something else new other than rice and veges in the machine!
June 02, 2010 12:21PM
You can use your slow cooker.Put it on to high. Spray with non stick oil. Put 1-2 teaspoon oil in bottom and put in 1 cup of rice and stir to coat. Add 2 1/2 cups boiling water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover surface with a piece of cooking paper and cook on high 1 1/2 hours. Then leave on keep warm until you want to use it. Just fluff with a fork before serving. Great for a crowd. Makes 4 cups of cooked rice.Saves trying to do everything at once.
June 02, 2010 01:06PM
Thanks, Steakm. Unfortunately, nowhere near enough Fly Buys points at the moment - have just cashed in over 300 to buy something special for the wee grandson! But will keep a look out at Briscoes and suchlike places. I really think I could use a steamer very productively.
June 02, 2010 11:57PM
Well after saying I was happy to leave the rice cooker in the shop, I spotted a brand new one on Trade Me, purchased for $200 (sticker still on the box) selling for $49! Too good a bargin to walk away from so I bought it. I haven't tried it yet but I can't wait to see how it goes. And if it's not for me, I'll re sell. Maybe for a profit ; )

Ancksunamun

[www.curd-nerd.com]

Edible Garden Blog
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.