Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Reduced to Clear Meat

Posted by Plates 
Reduced to Clear Meat
July 06, 2019 08:33AM
I thought there was an existing post on this but could not find it, so apologies for asking this again.

Is meat that is reduced as it has only a few days before its best before generally OK. I am presuming so, but just thought I would ask.
Re: Reduced to Clear Meat
July 06, 2019 11:35AM
I wouldn't hesitate to use up to it's 'best before' date, especially as its 'best before' and not 'use by' - so, there should be nothing wrong with it.
Regards,
Dawn.
July 06, 2019 11:09PM
And I would say it would be OK to freeze it, too, if you didn't want to use it immediately. Makes good sense to buy something at a good price, even if for later use.
July 07, 2019 02:15AM
Yes, it's absolutely fine - if you're in the right place at the right time, you can pick up some really good specials, to the point where the only meat I buy at full price is when I want to cook something in particular eg for guests. I buy everything else on special and freeze it, and then plan my meals around what I have it the freezer.

Edited to add, and slightly off-topic, but I always freeze chicken before I use it and I only ever buy a frozen whole chicken, never fresh. Even though it is said that salmonella and campylobacter can even survive freezing, I would rather reduce the risk

Regards,

Barbara Anne

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2019 08:19AM by Barbara Anne.
July 09, 2019 09:25AM
thanks everyone
DK
July 15, 2019 06:58AM
Yes, I always buy reduced to clear meat.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.