Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

marinades burning

Posted by Vanessa45 
marinades burning
October 21, 2019 12:50AM
I buy chicken kebabs and marinated chickens and Im so sick of the marinade turning black and burning.

I cooked a good, free-range split chicken over the weekend on my Webber and all around the edges the marinade - herb and lemon I think, went black and didnt taste good.

The same happens with soy/satay kebabs - its sooooo disappointing.

Im assuming cooking it on a lower heat is the key to avoid this OR make my own with less/no sugar/sweetner added.

Has anyone got any magic tricks or tips?

I cook on a ceramic cooktop and have one aluminium pan and one much more expensive tefal pan. Even though the aluminium one cost next to nothing, I much prefer it - its light, heats up quickly and seems to cook things better.

Vanessa
Re: marinades burning
October 21, 2019 01:39AM
Are you asking about meat and kebabs that you buy already marinated? I've never bought them but I imagine that the marinades are full of sugar and thickeners and that is why they burn. Try making your own marinades - it's very easy and you don't need sugar.

Would you like some suggestions for marinades?
October 21, 2019 04:10AM
Yes ones that have been pre marinated in the supermarket and you will be right - way too much sugar ect.

They are just so easy BUT yes I really need to make my own and Id love to know any great marinades. I use teriyaki sauce but once again, sugar sugar sugar.

What is the tenderiser or the ingredient that makes the meat tender? The acid? I know Koreans use kiwifruit squashed in Bulgogoi and it make it really tender.

Vanessa
October 21, 2019 04:27AM
Vanessa45 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> What is the tenderiser or the ingredient that
> makes the meat tender? The acid? I know Koreans
> use kiwifruit squashed in Bulgogoi and it make it
> really tender.

Charmaine Solomon uses Baking Soda and historically I posted it on this FL thread

The above is from her 1970s book. I also found this link when I googled
October 21, 2019 04:53AM
This is my fallback way of preparing a whole free range chicken. I normally use kefir because I always have it, but a plain full fat yoghurt without additives is fine. I cook the chicken in my Weber on a rack over a Weber convection dish (the disposable foil ones sold in boxes of 10).

Chicken roasted with Kefir & Herbs

serves 3-4

375 ml kefir (or runny plain yoghurt)
2 sprigs rosemary
6 sprigs thyme
4 cloves garlic, peeled & smashed
zest of 1 lemon, julienned
1 tsp salt
pepper
1 large chicken, spatchcocked and held flat with skewers
olive oil

In a container that will hold the chicken mix kefir, herb leaves, garlic and zest, salt and pepper.

Pat chicken dry, and place in container with marinade. Add herb stems. Cover and refrigerate 24 - 48 hours, turning over at least once.

Heat oven to 180C. Place chicken breast side up in a large ovenproof dish with herb stems underneath, leaves and zest on top. Pour marinade over, drizzle with olive oil, roast 1 - 1 1/4 hours until golden and cooked through. Remove chicken to rest, serve warm or cool with resting juices poured over.
October 21, 2019 04:59AM
Here is a very simple Thai Satay recipe. It does have some sugar in it, so don't cut the cubes of meat too big or they will not cook properly before they burn.

Chicken Satay – Thai
10 - 12 skewers

2 tab Thai green curry paste
1 tab peanut oil
400 ml coconut cream
1 tab grated palm sugar
1 tab fish sauce
6 kaffir lime leaves shredded
6 skinless boneless free range chicken breasts

In a shallow pan fry paste in oil a few minutes, add coconut cream, simmer 5 min. Add sugar, fish sauce & lime leaves, simmer 15 min uncovered. Cool.

Cut chicken into cubes, thread on skewers, pour sauce over. Marinate 1 – 4 hours. Brush more marinade over as they cook.
October 21, 2019 05:01AM
Finally, here is a good all-purpose Vietnamese marinade, good for chicken, pork or beef.

Vietnamese Chicken Nibbles

TO SERVE 6

2 kg free range chicken nibbles or wings
12 star anise, roughly broken up
10 - 12 cloves garlic, squashed
1/2 c fish sauce

Marinate all 12 - 48 hours.

Either grill on a barbecue or roast at 180 C in a roasting dish, uncovered. To stop them sticking line the roasting dish with baking paper. This makes the dish easier to clean.

Serve hot, warm, cool.

Nice with a little salad of cucumber and onion pickled in 1 tab sugar, 1 tab lime juice or rice vinegar, 1 tab fish sauce.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.