Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Tabbouleh

Posted by Barbara Anne 
Tabbouleh
February 12, 2020 12:32AM
I bought some bulgur wheat recently in anticipation of making tabbouleh which I haven't made for years. It looks very coarse and unrefined (the words on the packing are all in a foreign language so I'm none the wiser) whereas most tabbouleh recipes for call for fine bulgur.

Do you think it will work and if not what other uses could I put coarse bulgur to?

Regards,

Barbara Anne
Re: Tabbouleh
February 12, 2020 12:35AM
Hi Barbara Anne, I think you will be fine with your coarse bulgur wheat. Epicurious actually stipulates that you use the coarse variety.
Tabbouleh

Alexandra's Kitchen says "I’ve used extra-coarse bulgur (found at Greek, Middle Eastern and whole food markets), which is chewier than fine bulgur, tasting more like barley or farro than couscous or quinoa. Of course, any kind of bulgur can be used."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2020 05:05AM by helen.
February 12, 2020 12:59AM
Great, thank you Helen - I hadn't seen that particular recipe, so I'll happily use what I have.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
February 12, 2020 01:09AM
I prefer extra course bulghur but can never find it. Can I ask where you got yours, Barbara Anne? I much prefer the firmer texture of the larger pieces in contrast to the soft tomato.
February 12, 2020 02:02AM
I visited my family recently in a little town called Mosgiel, near Dunedin. There is a lovely Turkish restaurant there which I had been to before but I got a lovely surprise this time to see that they had opened a shop right next door with all sorts of Mediterranean goodies. I asked if they had an on-line shop but they don't unfortunately.

I'm sorry that this doesn't help you Jenna but I'm sure that someone will be able to suggest a source.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
February 16, 2020 04:10AM
Jenna, I have just been looking on line and I see that you can buy the same coarse bulgur (Sera brand) that I bought in Mosgiel at Kyber Spice Invaders in Auckland - $3.99 for 900g. They have shops in Royal Oak and Otahuhu and an on-line shop. They stock lots of other interesting things as well so probably worth a visit when I am next in Auckland. Is anyone else familiar with this shop?

BTW I made my tabbouleh using the recipe that Helen suggested and was very pleased with the result, in fact have just made some more for tonight with the addition of mint this time.

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions and advice.

Regards,

Barbara Anne

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2020 06:02AM by Barbara Anne.
February 16, 2020 05:41AM
I used to shop frequently at the Sandringham branch of Khyber Spice Invaders and their products were always fresh, clean and very well priced. I've also been to the Royal Oak branch, which was untidier and less inviting. If you are in Auckland I think the best place to shop for spices and other Indian ingredients is Stoddard Road, Mt Roskill, where there are a number of spice traders. They do tend to change hands a bit so any recommendations may go out of date.
February 16, 2020 11:36AM
Thank you Barbara Anne smiling smiley I'll definitely order some while I've still got a garden full of tomatoes!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.