Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Kitchen Tools, best value

Posted by cathy51 
Kitchen Tools, best value
May 14, 2020 04:10AM
This has probably been asked before but here goes...and if some one has link to this, let me know.

During lockdown, I found myself with many issues in the kitchen - I've not been cooking/baking for some years since I had an accident and my hand disability had become a bit of nightmare. But here I was locked in my own home alone bubble with more restrictions because of my regular health issues.

I've actually been pleased with how I have managed but the area...you won't be surprised but I've mastered the model of the #8 wire on many occasions this last couple of months BUT there have been "mixing" issues in particular. I discovered in a kitchen drawer I had a Kitchen Whizz portable with the beating sticks you put in...it's has been a godsend BUT when the day I needed a food processor, I had to abandon that idea - no FP here, nor a blender.

And then there was the scenario of the "sharp knife" that isn't a paring knife but will cut up a chicken breast or similar easily. I did have a brand new pair of kitchen scissors and finally I managed to get the #8 wire creativity to sharpen the bread knife on the metal back step railing....

Bearing in Mind, I have Severe Hand Disability and need relatively Stable Tools, I do have some non slip mats on the benches...but I can't use basically lightweight plastic or overly heavy metal.

Question: around MIXING a good value way to have the tools that I will need?
Question: what kind of good sized KNIFE/KNIVES?

I don't know when I will venture out to real retailers, due to my health issues...but if I had some idea on what/where/how list that would be really great...

Thanks Catherine
Re: Kitchen Tools, best value
May 14, 2020 09:03AM
Hi Cathy,
I'm really interested in your post. Over lockdown I've had my 26 year old son here, he has a disability which also affects his hand function. I've been trying to teach him to cook, and realised that he has awful difficulty with things most of us do without thinking, especially chopping an onion, stirring a thick mixture, handling hot dishes from the oven (he burnt his finger on a gap in my oven gloves and now won't use them at all!).
So I'm not much help from me, but will be watching with interest... oh he's also lefthanded which provides extra issues in a family of righties!
Re: Kitchen Tools, best value
May 14, 2020 10:19AM
I'm a big fan of Global knives as they are light, well balanced and easy to sharpen with a water sharpener. They are readily available on line. I'll put in a link to a small all purpose knife that might suit you. I was given one of these years ago and I have taken it around the world to use in rented accommodation; it has stood me in very good stead even when I haven't been able to sharpen it for three months.

Global knife prices vary a lot on line, so it is well worth trawling around the internet to find a good deal.

[www.thehomestoreonline.co.nz]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.