Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

The reverse creaming method

Posted by gran 
The reverse creaming method
March 28, 2023 12:26AM
BBC food facefook page has an article about reverse creaming method for cup cakes.

Instead of creaming the butter and sugar, you add the softened butter to the flour, baking powder and sugar and beat until it resembles sandy breadcrumbs.

Then, in a seperate jug you have the egg and milk etc, and you slowly beat into dry ing until incorporated, then turn up the beater to medium to high for a minute. .

Aparently you have a smoother topped cup cake.

No curdling. My kenwood beater is not that great at creaming butter and sugar so thought I might give this a go.

I should imagine this would work for any baking.

Have any of you foodlovers discovered this method?

cheers Gran
Re: The reverse creaming method
March 28, 2023 08:54AM
I've heard of reverse creaming, particularly in a commercial kitchen. I haven't tried it because I don't use flour, but it makes sense if you want a very soft, even crumb. The fat coats the flour and retards the development of gluten, and it would require less care, as you wouldn't have to worry about overbeating.

I believe the method was developed as a way of emulating the very soft crumb of Betty Crocker cake mixes!
April 03, 2023 12:56AM
Thank you TPANDV, I am going to make the cup cakes next week when I have my grandaughter here. If I am happy with the result will try it on one of my cake recipes.

Gosh, Berry Crocker, in the 1960's my mother used to make the Betty Crocker confetti cake. My friend Alison, who used to come to our house to "play", and I often talk about the confetti cake. Another delight from those days was betty boop.

cheers Gran
April 14, 2023 02:57AM
Well my grandaughter and I have made the cupcakes and they were deliciious. Tops even which made icing them easier. Lovely, light cupcakes.

cheers Gran

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2023 02:58AM by gran.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.