Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Your favourite foodie magazine

Posted by cantabcook 
Your favourite foodie magazine
July 11, 2011 04:35AM
I'm such a sucker for food magazines. Glistening shots of mouth-watering food on the covers draw me in every time. There seem to have been a few good issues out there lately and I just got the Foodtown Mag for June/July. I think that is my current favourite (it seems to change every month).
What is your favourite magazine and do you actually cook anything from it, or just drool over the pictures?
Re: Your favourite foodie magazine
July 11, 2011 06:50AM
I have three that I read regularly. I like the Foodtown Mag, too. It seems so practical, as well as having lots of good ideas. I subscribe to Taste and Cuisine. In each edition there would be at least two or three recipes that I use fully or partially. I often mark the page and keep for future reference. Say a special dinner or a celebration.
Yes, drooling does come into it, too!! smiling smiley
July 11, 2011 07:09AM
Oh gosh. For ages I bought almost all the food mags going: Foodtown, Essentially Food (the former New World publication), Taste, Dish, Cuisine, Healthy Food Guide, Super Food Ideas, Recipes, Donna Hay, ABC Delicious ... I think that was all.
I still have nearly all of them and still love to drag out a pile every so often and trawl through them, but I have cut back a lot. Now I buy the Healthy Food Guide on a monthly subscription, and I often buy Foodtown, Superfood Ideas, and Recipes - the latter two are very good value and cost very little compared with the others. Occasionally I buy Taste if there's something in it that I particularly want, but very little else now. I have figured out that with the several hundred food magazines I have on my special foodie bookcase, there must be recipes for every dish known to man or woman, and in some cases, repeated several times over. Now, with the money I've saved, I tend to splash it on garden magazines!
July 11, 2011 10:29AM
Gourmet Traveller is the only one I buy these days, I catch up with Dish and Cuisine at the hairdresser!
July 11, 2011 10:42AM
Healthy Food Guide, Foodtown are my main ones..oh and my Taste subscription. I buy what ever else looks tempting on the magazine rack. I probably make more out of TAste than the others.
July 11, 2011 09:38PM
I don't buy any but periodically get them out of the library and then find the recipes that take my fancy on their websites and download them. I particularly enjoy Taste and Olive (BBC food mag).
July 11, 2011 11:43PM
I subscribe to Taste & Healthy Food Guide.I usually buy Foodtown & have dicovered Recipes+.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2011 11:43PM by judith.
July 12, 2011 04:01AM
I don't subscribe to any, and occasionally buy Cuisine or Taste. I have a stack from old subs and while I know food does go in and out of fashion I feel like I can't cope with too much more information. I get the odd recipe from Women's Weekly or Next or the Herald as well ( I only subscribe to the Herald though, the others are occasional treats or borrowed from family). I am trying to cut down on my expenditure in this area....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2011 04:03AM by Cheese Lover.
July 12, 2011 10:50AM
I subscribe to Taste, Dish, Cuisine and Australian Good Food. I also buy Foodtown, Donna Hay, Delicious, Essentially Food and occasionally Gourmet Traveller. So silly to have so many of the things but it is my weakness. The two I couldn't be without are Dish and Taste.
July 12, 2011 11:28AM
Ha Megan, I knew you were an avid cookbook buyer but didn't know you did the mags too. You must have multiple bookcases for them all by now! Thats two people who've suggested Gourmet Traveller so must hunt that one down - havn't noticed it before.

I'd also forgotten you can get these mags from the library (thanks Penny) so must check out some of the older editions I havn't bought.
July 13, 2011 09:30AM
goodfood mag uk, my mum's treat to me!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2011 09:31AM by Karen.
July 13, 2011 10:29PM
I know it's so ridiculous but every time a new issue of one of those mags comes out, I always say I don't need it, then happen to look through it and buy it anyway. Makes that yearly renewal time quite expensive not to mention when they all come out in the shops! I haven't seen Australian Good Food here ever but it's a great magazine...a bit like a cross between Taste and Dish (I discovered that one when I was last in Aus). I have a big bookshelf FULL of cooking mags not to mention my coffee table...! I have culled them once when they threatened to overtake my spare room. I have only just started to log in the recipes I want to try from each edition onto the Onenote thing (through Microsoft Office 2010) I now have on my laptop. I found that I would read a mag then totally forget where I had seen a recipe, then get so overwhlemed looking for it I would just forget it and go back to cooking the usual suspects! Now I can look up that particular mag and browse for a recipe I might want to do. I must say I have found a few that are fantastic too! Well worht the effort... except now I will have to start going back through all the back issues I have as I have only just scratched the surface.
Anonymous User
July 13, 2011 10:53PM
Dish - I find new recipes to try in every edition.
July 18, 2011 02:36AM
Taste is my only must have. But I also buy Jamie Oliver's magazine when it's appealing and Donna Hay.

Ancksunamun

[www.curd-nerd.com]
Your Essential Home Cheese Making Site

[www.growingandgathering.com]
Edible Garden Blog
July 20, 2011 06:35AM
I too am a sucker for food and other lifestyle magazines - just love that moment of "what's good?" excitement as I open the first page. I was a foundation subscriber to Cuisine, and although I don't always make things fromn each issue I still enjoy it. NZ House & Garden, Dish and NZ Life & Leisure are usually good, and I often buy Delicious, the BBC's Good Food, and Australian Gourmet Traveller for variety. I have way too many cookbooks too.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.