Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Favourite black pudding?

Posted by Janet or Emma 
Favourite black pudding?
June 06, 2023 01:36PM
Our local maker of specialty sausages and black pudding has closed, so I’m now looking for a new brand of black pudding. Any suggestions? Thanks, Janet
sue
Re: Favourite black pudding?
June 13, 2023 07:07AM
Not sure what region you live but our local butcher in Martinborough, Scottys Butchery make a great black pudding.
June 16, 2023 03:57PM
Thanks, Sue. Funnily enough I’ve got a friend who’s on a current road trip, and he’s keen to get sausages there and said he’d get some of the black pudding.
I bought one at PnS yesterday, intending to do a taste test against the one from .blackball that everyone raves about, but when I went to buy the Blackball one, they hadn’t been able to get any in. I.l keep my fingers crossed for the Martinborough one.
sue
June 20, 2023 05:54AM
let us know what you think of it.
July 12, 2023 07:37AM
Depending on where you live..............I'm in Lower Hutt (Wellington Region) and Eastbourne Meats make nice BP as do Randwick Meats............then if you want to travel a little further afield Waikanae Meats or Greytown Butchery.......unfortunately BP doesn't taste the same as it did back in the 60's & 70's when it was made with fresh pigs blood...now owing to MAF regulations must be made with powdered blood.......
February 08, 2024 11:28AM
So, I e got lots of black pudding. The masterton one (from Homegrown Butchery) is delicious, albeit quite a bit wetter than the others. The Blackball one is good. I also tried a Huttons one. That wasn’t bad, but not as good as the others. Apparently there’s a good one at Papamoa, but I’ve not tried that. I’m quite enjoying all the tasting. It would be ideal to try them all at once, but as there’s only two of us, I’m doing one at a time.
February 12, 2024 08:43AM
I'm going to put my neck on the line here.....worked for a wholesale butchers and one of the butchers Ralphie Pahl went out on his own and made fantastic BP...........and he said many times over again I will take that recipe to my grave..........and if he is still alive he probably will.....................but in saying that back in the 80's when Ralphie worked for Goulds their BP was out of this world.............BUT it was made with FRESH pigs blood and the change in Govt regulations said it that had to be made with powder pigs blood all this govt foot and mouth drama it has NEVER tasted the same..........and this is from a BB born in the mid 50's

Just found out that Ralph Pahl has passed away so his famous BP recipe went with him up above.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2024 03:50AM by Fleur.
February 13, 2024 07:42AM
That's all really interesting. A French couple make their own and sell them at the Nelson Market. I'll ask them if they use powdered pigs' blood next time I'm there!
March 13, 2024 09:33PM
My favorite black pudding is the traditional Irish variety, with its rich flavor and hearty texture. The blend of spices and oats creates a perfect balance, making it a versatile ingredient in both savory dishes and breakfast spreads. It's a timeless classic that never fails to satisfy my taste buds.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.