Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Slow Cooker - which one?

Posted by lynley 
Slow Cooker - which one?
March 29, 2012 09:33PM
My trusty Breville slow cooker has bit the dust - might be why the quince paste took so long! it was heating around the sides - but the base was stone cold - no wonder!

Any recommendations, warnings?

Four legs good, two legs bad. George Orwell
Re: Slow Cooker - which one?
March 29, 2012 10:56PM
I have a Russell Hobbs Oval one - and from a shape perspective I like it. I bought it from TM, so second hand and I have had it between 6 and 7 years now and still going strong. My previous one was a cheapie K Mart or Target model, from when we lived in Oz - the lid broke moving back here - and I used an upturned dinner plate as the lid , and by god that went well for so many years. So I really can't compare as the ones I have had, have lasted and lasted and lasted
March 29, 2012 11:07PM
I think mine only heats at the sides - thought that was what it was meant to do. I'm not a fan - it only comes out for corned beef, although I've noted with interest the quince paste method. No more splatters on the ceiling.
March 30, 2012 12:58AM
Really - I thought they were supposed to heat on the sides and the bottom?

March 30, 2012 08:22AM
My breville did the same. it was 12 years old so last weekend I got a new zip one for only $39.99, down from $139.99... yes I saved $100.
March 30, 2012 12:24PM
Wow - Zee - Where from?

March 31, 2012 10:53PM
I have a Sunbeam round slow cooker and I love it. Gets a huge amount of use over the colder months for casseroles and silverside. I love how tender the meat comes out in everything I've tried so far. Even used it to make a loaf of bread once! And a chocolate self saucing pudding.
April 01, 2012 01:04AM
Has anyone tried the Breville Fast Slow Cooker ? A pressure cooker and slow cooker in one?

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.