DK
Vital wheat gluten in central Auckland?
May 14, 2012 10:38PM
Does anyone know where I can buy reasonably priced vital wheat gluten in central Auckland?
My local supermarket has the Healtheries brand but it is expensive. I know that Bin Inn has it but the only Bin Inns in Auckland are over the Shore and I don't venture that way very often.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2012 10:44PM by DK.
Re: Vital wheat gluten in central Auckland?
May 15, 2012 12:13AM
Is this the same thing as gluten flour. If so, theres a bulk food store in Mt Eden (walters road), that has it. You can buy it pre bagged or bag how much you like. I bought some for the breadmaker and dont recall the cost being very expensive.
DK
May 15, 2012 12:27AM
Hi Marej, Thanks for that - I know the shop you mean. I'm not sure if it is the same thing or if gluten flour is plain flour with vital wheat gluten added.

When you used it in your breadmaker did you use it in place of plain flour or did you add a couple of spoonfuls to your recipe?
I might go in and buy some and test it out. If it is vital wheat gluten it will go gummy when I add water to it.
May 15, 2012 12:36AM
The breadmaker receipe includes 1 tbsp of "gluten flour". I understand its a flour that has a very high concentration of gluten. Its very pale brown colur. I have just googled "vital wheat gluten", and some results indicate it is the same thing, but the Americans call it vital wheat gluten.
May 15, 2012 02:51AM
It is the same thing. Supermarkets often sell it for around $6.95 a bag. Think it might come in a green bag similar to Simple glutenfree baking and bread mixes. Asian shops may have it as it is used quite a lot in vegetarian cooking to make faux meat products.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.