Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

lemon or lime jam or chutney recipes?

Posted by luscious 
lemon or lime jam or chutney recipes?
May 29, 2012 07:45AM
Hi, I have just found some lemons and limes to make for my farmer's market stall. I would really appreciate any suggestions for ways to use these... Many thanks!
Re: lemon or lime jam or chutney recipes?
May 30, 2012 03:32AM
lemon honey, lime honey, preserved lemons . . .
May 30, 2012 05:21AM
Hi Penny,
thanks for the suggestions. I haven't made Preserved Lemons before... have you? And is it possible to preserve limes the same way?
May 30, 2012 05:53AM
Yes it is but the very thin skin means they're not such a good product
May 30, 2012 07:58AM
You could dry them whole and they are then known as limi-omani and used widely in Persian dishes. I haven't dried any of my own as they are relatively easy to purchase in middle eastern stores but once you begin to use them it becomes almost addictive. [www.seriouseats.com] They can also be sliced and dried in an oven.

PS this is limes I am referring to not lemons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2012 07:59AM by Kone.
May 30, 2012 10:14AM
Yes, I have made preserved lemons - I used the Foodlovers recipe [www.foodlovers.co.nz]. I found that a lot of juice was needed to cover the lemons and I could only fit a few in the jar. The second lot I made I cut the lemons in half, squeezed the juice out, cut the shells in half again and layered them with the salt and flavourings. Then I poured the juice in. This was much more economical and worked perfectly well but doesn't look as good - a consideration if you want to sell them.
May 30, 2012 10:32AM
I never use lemon juice as well as lemons when making preserved lemons - just cut a cross up from the stem end without cutting all the way through squeeze a little then stuff with salt and pack the jar - fill with hot water - they still look whole there is some juice in the jar and are well lemony when ready. I have also made a lovely lime and ginger marmalade in the past... good luck!

Four legs good, two legs bad. George Orwell
May 31, 2012 08:28AM
Hi lynley,
I never thought of making marmalade... what a great suggestion. Any tips/recipe for me as I haven't made marmalade before.

At last, the rain has stopped here in The Catlins.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.