Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

a glut of celery

Posted by helen 
a glut of celery
June 08, 2012 05:39AM
Celery is so cheap at the moment and my local store isn't selling it in half bunches. It is not the price that bothers me but the wastage. I only use 1-2 stalks at a time and then it can be up to a week before I need it again but by then it is soft.
Any solutions other than sharing with friends?
Re: a glut of celery
June 08, 2012 06:37AM
Caponata ?
J1
June 08, 2012 06:52AM
Ah well, there's is no such thing as soft celery. This is why.

When you buy it, cut the bottom off so the stalks are separate, trim the leaves off and any other bits you don't want, and cut the stalks roughly in half, so they'll fit in a medium size plastic bag (or you can leave the stalks long and put them into a large plastic bag). Twist tie the bag closed. Put in fridge.

If you've run out of energy after a long day and the above is the last thing you feel like having to do on getting home from grocery shopping, put the whole thing untrimmed, etc into a giant plastic bag and twist tie the bag closed, and put in fridge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2013 10:36PM by J1.
June 08, 2012 06:58AM
I do exactly what J1 does, except that I was told to wrap it in foil first - I've done this for ages and it is amazing how well it keeps.
June 08, 2012 07:48AM
Wrapping it in foil works for me, too. It lasts so much longer.
June 08, 2012 05:02PM
I slice it and sauté it in the tiniest bit of oil with a little chicken stock added and freeze it in small portions.
June 08, 2012 11:57PM
I would make up batches of soffritto and freeze

Four legs good, two legs bad. George Orwell
June 09, 2012 06:31AM
Add a few other veges, chicken carcass or fishheads and make stock and freeze for when the occasion calls for it.
June 11, 2012 12:26AM
It freezes really well. You wouldn't use thawed celery as a crudity, but it is perfect for stews, stock-making, soups, etc.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.