Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Fresh Fish

Posted by networkn 
Fresh Fish
September 23, 2012 02:14PM
I have noticed recently that places like Oceanz, Nosh and especially strangely the Auckland Fish Market etc, say they have fresh fish daily, however it doesn't smell as fresh as I would expect, but I can get fish that smell like the sea, from fish and chip shops that sell fresh fish as a side.

This seems odd to me in the extreme. One of the places says it gets it fish from the AFM, so it's odd it wouldn't smell as good at the source?

Thanks.
Re: Fresh Fish
September 24, 2012 02:55AM
Hmm fish is a difficult one to answer. I loathe fishy smells yet sometimes I think that the fish I buy smells and at other times it is fine. It isn't always retailer dependent and yes sometimes fish market fish just doesn't smell as fresh as I would like. Mind you I find the smell of the markets pretty awful and there is no way I can buy my vege produce there.
Funnily enough I have found that our local NW has very fresh smelling fish and they often have it on special.
September 24, 2012 03:35AM
Well what I bought yesterday from the AFM was pretty good, Kokoda for me tonight!!!
September 25, 2012 02:27AM
Any recommendations for buying Salmon around Wellington? What sort of prices are out there? I'm intending to cure and cold smoke it.
September 28, 2012 05:16AM
I like to cook and eat fresh fish. It's one of the healthiest food there is. But my most favorite is the Cream Dory. I can do whatever recipe I want with the Dory fish.

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.