Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

old fashioned recipes

Posted by lucyskitchen 
old fashioned recipes
December 05, 2012 12:54AM
Has anyone on the forum got any handed down recipes they would like to share. A lot of cookbooks nowadays are so repetitive and boring. The old recipes are always the best and its so refreshing to cook something different,
Kind regards,
Lucy
J1
Re: old fashioned recipes
December 05, 2012 02:14AM
One thing that's online is the old Edmonds recipe book, which you might like to take a look at (cakes and puddings taking precedence over everything else in NZ as usual):
[nzetc.victoria.ac.nz] (click on the blue cross next to "recipes" and they all come up, with a further click to take you to the recipe itself)
December 07, 2012 07:11AM
I have my Mothers cookbook - she died in 1975 so you can understand that the recipes are quite old. There additions including magazine and newspaper recipes - some no dates but one is about making marmalade from the Womens Weekly, January 25, 1958! On the rear of another you could fly around the world for 4560 pounds and 16 shillings...with Qantas/Teal

Most of the recipes assume you know how to mix something up and oven temperatures!

There are also recipes written by my sister (she is now in her 80s) and some other handwriting I don't recognise...

So picking a couple of pages:
Mustard Sauce for corned meats
Polish
Fly Spray
Syrup of Figs
Indigestion cure
Choc Kisses
Date & Walnut Cake
Choc cake
??? looks like Sag cake - has only the ingredients but you need 3 eggs and you need to bake 3/4 in 3 cocoa tins
Fruit mixture
Melon Jam...

Catherine

Do not wait; the time will never be 'just right'. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along. ­ Napoleon Hill
December 07, 2012 09:44PM
I realy enjoy baking "retro" style baking nowadays. For most people these items are a novelty and I get rave reviews. THere is a whole generation now who have never seen or tasted many/any of the old fashioned cakes and biscuits.
December 07, 2012 10:19PM
This is a recipe which came from my Step-MIL's mother's recipe book so is pretty old. They have a lovely flavour. (Not my MIL nor her mother - the biscuits of course!)

Not sure why they (the biscuits) are so named - unless the frontside looks the same as the backside? Any more guesses?
Regards,
Dawn.

BETWIXT & BETWEEN BISCUITS
1/2 lb butter
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
2 tablespoons currants

Cream b & s add remaining ingredients. Moderate oven for 15 minutes or nicely browned. (Allow room for spreading).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2012 10:21PM by Dawn.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.