Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

What size eggs for baking?

Posted by helen 
What size eggs for baking?
February 17, 2013 10:58PM
Egg sizes vary immensely and when you are making a cake that contains 2+ eggs it will make a difference to the mixture if you are using size 6 vs size 7 in terms of quantity.
I always have used size 7, what about you?
Re: What size eggs for baking?
February 17, 2013 11:12PM
Definitely size 7 for me too! It certainly does make a difference to the mixture. If I make a mistake and buy size 6 I will usually use an extra egg for a recipe which has 2 or 3 eggs in it.
Regards,
Dawn.
February 17, 2013 11:53PM
I use 7's and in reading most of my recipe books they recommend the use of 7's.

Helen B.
February 18, 2013 01:25AM
As I almost always buy free range eggs the egg sizes vary. When selecting egg/s for baking I tend to choose what would equate to size 6-7. I think I know instinctively whether the batter would need an extra egg.
Bev
February 18, 2013 02:54AM
I use large eggs for baking too.
February 18, 2013 03:42AM
Depends very much on what the girls have 'delivered' for us.If they are on the small side I may add another but if they are big I still use the same number.I wonder if the size of the egg matters as much as too much or too little flour or liquid? I really don't think so.
J1
February 18, 2013 05:28AM
Same as Marnie, except lately sometimes I get the Frenz free range/organic size 7 egg packs but, if anything, they seem a bit big. This is because when I was growing up and being chief baker in our household, the eggs sold were dozen packs of either Size 5, 6, or 7 and my mother always bought size 6.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2013 05:29AM by J1.
February 18, 2013 05:34AM
*Dork Alert*

Our chickens provide our eggs, and they are usually quite big (75-100g). A size 7 is around 65g incl shell (62g excl shell). If a recipe calls for just 1 or 2, then I'll just pick out the smallest of what I have in the fridge.

However, when something is needing more than 2 eggs, I'll weigh the contents to get close to (62g x no. of eggs). If you're 10g over with each egg when you're only using 2, not a huge problem. If you're using 4 eggs that is 40g more, which is very nearly another whole egg = can make a difference.

February 18, 2013 11:15PM

I use jumbo eggs for everything. I can boast ( blushing) that I never, ever have a failure. Hubby will testify to this smiling smiley

Cheers,

Beverley
February 19, 2013 09:14PM
I always use 7's.
February 19, 2013 10:58PM
I use a mix - if buying on size I choose a 7 but often free range or market eggs are not sold this way. Occasionally I will add or reduce if it feels wrong. I have had some failures but mostly related to overcooking/burning when trying to do other things at the same time, can't blame it on the egg size!!
February 23, 2013 05:34AM
I find that sixes are fine most of the time.
February 25, 2013 11:24AM
I use free range eggs, so for baking I weigh them to get close to 65g per egg on average. For recipes with quite a lot of eggs it means I can use less (but larger) eggs and know the quantities are okay.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.