Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

What is for dinner in your house?

Posted by helen 
What is for dinner in your house?
May 30, 2013 08:14AM
I am making dinner tonight but not eating it as we are off out to our favourite Malaysian cheap and cheerful.

The family are having smoked fish pie which thankfully everyone loves. [www.foodlovers.co.nz]
What is cooking at your house?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2013 08:14AM by helen.
Bev
Re: What is for dinner in your house?
May 30, 2013 08:27AM
I am trying a new recipe from Yotam Ottolenghi's Jerusalem book. Burnt aubergine & mograbeih soup. It smells delicious and I am looking forward to eating it.
May 30, 2013 08:56AM
Ooh Bev that does sound good. I have only recently purchased Jerusalem and not yet cooked from it.
May 30, 2013 09:57AM
Homemade fettuccine tossed with ham, mushrooms and seasonings then sprinkled with anchovied breadcrumbs.
Bev
May 30, 2013 10:05AM
I can report the soup was delicious and I will certainly make it again. I look forward to trying some other recipes from the book.
May 30, 2013 10:33PM
We had lovely samosa
May 30, 2013 10:42PM
We had Capsicums stuffed with Pork Mince and cooked in Passata. There was Mince mixture left over, so I made that into a Meat Loaf with a generous dollop of chilli garlic sauce - great for lunches.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2013 10:42PM by Irene Field.
May 31, 2013 12:43AM
Ray McVinnie's Lamb and Feta pie with cucumber raita, steamed broc and red capsicum for some colour. Very nice. Will make again.
May 31, 2013 12:59AM
Bev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am trying a new recipe from Yotam Ottolenghi's
> Jerusalem book. Burnt aubergine & mograbeih
> soup. It smells delicious and I am looking
> forward to eating it.

Jerusalem is AWESOME!

Four legs good, two legs bad. George Orwell
Bev
May 31, 2013 01:37AM
Hi Lynley, yes it is a great book. I am tempted to go and by his "Plenty" book now.
May 31, 2013 02:25AM
Last night we had a pork chop and kumara bake (not sure what it's called but it's an Allyson Gofton recipe that I've been making for years), with leeks in a creamy mustard sauce, carrot and parsnip mash and peas. Good winter evening tucker.

Tonight? Probably nachos which has become a winter Friday night routine around here - son loves them and has the leftovers for lunch on Saturday. He is pretty fussy with his nachos - must have guacamole (not just sour cream) and salsa to accompany.

Regards,

Barbie Girl
May 31, 2013 06:40AM
Well last night I cooked beef cheeks. A first time for us to try these, I had seen them on MKR & thought I would give it a try in my pressure cooker. They were very tender but a lot of gristle to cut out first which didn't leave much meat behind & I used red wine too, don't think I would do them again but they were nice but not the nicest meat I have eaten but could have been they way I cooked it. We had mashed potatoes, beans & choko's with it. A tasty tea none the less.
May 31, 2013 09:43AM
Yum! We are having terakihi (on special at a very good $18.00kg) crumbed with panko crumbs and frozen oven fries. Home made fish n chips, with salad.
Tomorrow thinking pizza after reading Helen's blog on the same, with some of Annabel Langbein's yummy Moroccan tomato sauce on the base and a bit of mozzarella.
But then also have a new version of larb gai I want to make....
May 31, 2013 09:47AM
Yum! We are having terakihi (on special at a very good $18.00kg) crumbed with panko crumbs and frozen oven fries. Home made fish n chips, with salad.
Tomorrow thinking pizza after reading Helen's blog on the same, with some of Annabel Langbein's yummy Moroccan tomato sauce on the base and a bit of mozzarella.
But then also have a new version of larb gai I want to make....
May 31, 2013 01:01PM
fish pie with kumara top with slaw for us
May 31, 2013 10:54PM
Lyn V - the 'gristle' you cut out of the beef cheeks is connective tissue which melts (after long slow cooking)and gives wonderful flavour and character to the finished dish.
June 01, 2013 12:43AM
Stephanie 1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lyn V - the 'gristle' you cut out of the beef
> cheeks is connective tissue which melts (after
> long slow cooking)and gives wonderful flavour and
> character to the finished dish.

That's right. The connective tissue is the main point.

As a young cook I used to buy cross-cut blade because my mother told me it was the best cut for braising, but I used to painstakingly cut out the piece of connective tissue in the middle of each piece, thinking it was fat. I always wondered why she was so keen on it. It was a revelation to braise the entire pieces, and beef cheeks are even better!

June 01, 2013 04:34AM
Thanks for that tip Stephanie I did actually add it to the pot thinking I would scoop it out before eating but it actually blended in so well I couldn't find it & believe me it was tender. Thinking now, I would like to try it again with another recipe.
June 01, 2013 08:53AM
It's been soup for 3 days now. My man has had a chin/jaw operation, so soup is all he can eat. Thursday night was vegetaable soup, which I ended up pureering it, so he could sip it. Last night kumera and curry soup. Tonight it's Alphabet soup for us all, not just the urchins. I have been making custard to go with the gingered feijoa stew for pudding. Looking forward to firmer foods soon!
Have fun!
Ruth
June 02, 2013 09:19AM
Just cooked first meal on new oven, and first time with gas.....and I loved it!! I cooked Spaghetti Bolognese and garlic bread very nice and very fast :-)
June 03, 2013 08:08AM
Pork cheeks.
June 03, 2013 10:23AM
Hairy Dieters Chicken Korma, and it was YUM!
June 04, 2013 01:38AM
Little lamb cutlets sprinkled with Ras el Hanout and cooked on the barbecue, braised baby leeks with butter, currants and toasted walnuts, roasted cauli. Lemon wedges. It was really delicious, warming without being too filling.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.