Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Cafe Food

Posted by helen 
Re: Cafe Food
April 25, 2014 12:31AM
Regarding price, in looking at cafes around me I see that a generous portion of sweet slice, loaf or cake is around $4 and coffee varies from $4 - $4.50.
Is that what you would consider to be normal?
April 25, 2014 05:05AM
I only go to cafes who make their food and it is good. I avoid all places where huge ' muffin mix' muffins are, and avoid preservatives in commercial food
Many cafes buy in food but not for me and savoury things with great thick pastry, mostly uncooked on the bottom, with quiche, bacon egg pie etc always avoided
Most cafes staff cannot make good scones and I can tell at a glance if heavy, lacking in dates and dry overcooked scones are common

Price wise 4.00 for a slice is good, lots charge more and 6 - 7.00 sometimes for cake that does not even look good - I wonder how cafes expect business with such terrible food
April 25, 2014 05:11AM
Those prices you quote, Helen, seem to about the same as here. Sometimes a large piece of cake may cost a little more.

There is one particular cafe here in Tauranga that is known for their freshly baked and prepared goods, it is so popular.
April 25, 2014 05:17AM
And the name of the Tauranga good cafe is.........

other recommendations in this thread, so this one deserves publicity too if it is good

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2014 05:18AM by HeatherH.
April 25, 2014 06:32AM
Oh yes Marnie, do tell what the cafe is called?
I will need to go visiting some, all in the name of research of course smiling smiley
April 25, 2014 06:33AM
HeatherH and Helen, it's Grindz Cafe... 50 First Avenue, Tauranga.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2014 06:34AM by Marnie.
April 25, 2014 06:34AM
When I frequent cafes (not much any more), it seems to be $4-4.50 for a rather small piece of slice. I say that, because I always think "sheesh, that's a lot for not a very big piece" - not because I want a bigger piece, but because I know how little it costs to bake a basic slice with icing. I'm not talking something stuffed full of $60/kg pecan nuts or covered in Belgian chocolate. I agree with Heather that $6-7.50 is not uncommon for a piece of cake, and again I feel ripped off. I know cafes are of course in business to make money, but there is a line where it feels you are no longer paying a reasonable price for a decent item. That is not a feeling that makes me want to return to a cafe.
April 25, 2014 11:35AM
I like my coffee HOT. So many cafes serve coffee in short, wide cups that are cold when the coffee is poured into them, thus arriving at my table only just luke warm. I don't return to those cafes. Definitely home baked goodies, not mass produced, bought in slices and doughnuts. And please ask me if I want my panini/pide toasted. I don't, I prefer them 'au naturelle'.
April 26, 2014 10:55AM
My daughter last week headed for Hot Water Beach for the day and with 3 littlies decided to buy lunch as a special treat. Her problem was every cafe was a meal totally unsuitable for a 2,5 & 7yr old. All she wanted was a muffin or club sandwich but the food were ordered from a menu.
I must say I have found cafes following this and it is getting harder to just have a coffee and muffin or club sandwich in some suburbs. Hubby and I only have a slice if we both agree on the same one as they are too big for one person. I often wish they cut them smaller and reduced the price a bit.
April 27, 2014 12:23AM
I am a pie and fresh cream donut girl. I also drink hot chocolate. What puts me off when I go into a cafe, is the smell. If capsicum or a horrible sausage roll type of smell is about, I walk out.
What I like if they haven't got a fresh cream donut...
Chicken rolls or grain bread sandwiches with plenty of filling. I hate the over use of mayonnaise.
BLTs are a favourite with my man.
Fresh chicken salad, with the dressing separate, so I can add the amount I want, and a small fork to eat it with.
Beautiful pastry in a pie, light flakey, not tough. The filling should not taste of salt. The filling should be made with great ingredients, not just a gravy.
If the place is noisy, it is difficult to talk. I think a cafes could do with more soft furnishings or partitions, to reduce the noise levels.
May 06, 2014 01:25AM
What I perceive to be a good café is what I see before I walk in the door! If it doesn't look fresh and inviting I won't cross the threashold! In my humble opinion a good Café needs to cater for all tastes because it's the food which brings in the customers and the customers bring in the $$'s, but the serving sizes need to be smaller and the coffee needs to be hot.

I like to see well filled and fresh looking sandwiches, pananis which have the toasted option, my husband always enjoys a sausage roll and is not slow to point out (only to me though) how awful it is if it's not up to his discerning taste!! He's eaten quite a few sausage rolls in his time so I trust his judgement. Quiche dishes reheated in the microwave served with side salad is a nice treat for us although we seldom have a knife and fork meal for lunch. Little patty-pan savouries lined with bread rather than pastry, filled with several choices of fillings. We don't usually choose from the cake/slice/biscuit cabinet, but they certainly need to lower the portion sizes. Sausage rolls often come in two sizes - I think one size should fit all and there's no need for giant size s/rolls.

We certainly agree with the comments by others - coffee being served HOT. We have been disappointed so often by coffee which, if you don't drink it straight away, it's quickly luke warm and nasty. I prefer to sip a HOT coffee. Is it to do with the possibility of customers burning themselves if there is a spillage I wonder?
Regards,
Dawn.
May 06, 2014 08:46AM
I returned a coffee once as it was luke warm and I must say my mood that morning was a little down so the lukewarm coffee just made me madder. The assistant was very nice and made me a 2nd cup however she said we all use a thermonater to check the temperature but some cafes dont. If you want it hotter just request an extra hot coffee. This I know do for all cafes and have a perfectly hot coffee everytime.
May 06, 2014 12:16PM
My understanding is that there is an optimal temperature to serve coffee which enhances the flavour, and it isn't really hot, but shouldn't be tepid either.

Last week I was in a bit of a predicament, I was hungry, but really only fancied a sandwich, we tried two cafe's who seemed to have lots of "cabinet food" and a menu to choose from, but not one sandwich to be seen. I'm sure that had I asked for one someone would have made me one, but I wasn't sure what filling I wanted, I needed to be tempted by food on display (I have been unwell)...in the end we went to the supermarket across the road, grabbed fresh bread/cheese/ham and came home and made something ourselves.
May 06, 2014 10:27PM
Good point Noeleen to request coffee to be HOT! I've probably always expected that it should be, however, on reading Kevin Milne's comment [www.nzwomansweekly.co.nz] it seems from Barista point of view the hot coffee burns the milk or froth. But it could also be the type of coffee beans and possibly altitude level.

I'm afraid I'm not at all good at returning something I'm not happy with in the café/restaurant food line - I just grin and bear it and swear never to go back! But one day I might pluck up the courage in my old age! I don't like the thought of being argued with by an indignant Assistant or
Barista, but if I knew there'd be an apology and no hassles I'd be more willing to ask for a replacement.
Regards,
Dawn.
May 06, 2014 11:22PM
Dawn, I am probably older than you but I've never had a problem with hassles or arguments in cafes or restaurants. I often ask for a little jug of hot milk if I find the coffee beans are stronger than my usual taste. I don't make unreasonable or loud demands, I just assume they would prefer to be aware if something isn't up to standard. I can well understand some would be wary of people burning themselves with very hot drinks.

noeleendickinson's post about asking for very hot coffee is a good one that I will remember.

Somewhere between Tauranga and Auckland there is a cafe that advertises that if you are not happy with their coffee they will make it until you are satisfied. Out of curiosity I had to ask what was the record until satisfaction was reached. It was seven times!!

That old saying 'You can please some of the people....etc' is so true.
May 07, 2014 12:36AM
Marnie, yes I'm sure they would want to please the customer, and probably random that a barista or assistant would be negative. I'd be the opposite to loud or demanding in my request but meek and mild and embarrassed at asking.
Regards,
Dawn.
May 07, 2014 01:37AM
We were dining out in the weekend, and started off with bread and dips. The waitress asked which was my favourite, to which I replied the garlic butter, and I went on to comment that the Capers/Cream Cheese was nice, but the Eggplant dip had a touch too much vinegar in it. It was nice, but a tad too vinegary.

George had previously agreed with me on this fact - but told me off when she left. According to him her question was - which was your favourite and a Masterchef conclusion wasn't required smiling smiley She did look shocked at my response, but I was very nice about it!

I think if we bring or don't bring these things to the staff's attention - it entirely depends upon our personality types In our instance - George thought it but wouldn't say it, I said it.

After getting a rap over the knuckles from hubby - I daren't tell them I thought my Gravlax was nicer then theirs smiling smiley
May 08, 2014 08:36AM
I have reached a stage in my life that if something is not right and I have paid for it I will complain. I do it in a pleasant manner and certainly dont shout about it.
If food (or coffee) is not hot enough or undercooked (as a chicken dish was once) why do I have to just accept it. Staff or chef's wont know and will just repeat it for the next customer.I feel it is my duty to correct the situation!!.
It doesn't happen often but has happened.
Reach the 60s age Dawn and you should be more confident. Irene you did the right thing. Good info for the waitress to report back.
May 08, 2014 11:29AM
You make good points Noeleen and I too certainly would be returning to the Chef food which has not been cooked properly. As I've mentioned, maybe one day I will pluck up the courage to return an unenjoyable warm cup of coffee and ask for a replacement, but given my past history I'm beginning to think, in my 69th year, that there's not a lot of hope left for me!
Regards,
Dawn.
May 08, 2014 10:26PM
I love the way we are "ageless" on the internet. This thread is just lovely and will send me off to work with a big smile on my face.
May 09, 2014 06:52AM
I love the bacon and egg pie that I get from Seasons Cafe in Cathedral Junction, Christchurch. They use grated potato (like a hash brown) to make the crust. I like it so much that I asked for and got the recipe.
May 09, 2014 06:59AM
I think my thoughts on cafe food have already been covered. Too large, overpriced, a lack of filling in sandwiches, dry cakes and muffins. I also hate the thick slices of bread used for sandwiches, toast etc. Another thing is the lack of savoury items in cabinets. There is usually cakes, sweet muffins and sweet scones, the only choice of savoury is usually a very large, cheese scone which seldom tastes of cheese or the usual pastry items. I have found one cafe which makes a delicious small savoury scones but the price is higher than a large one at other cafes.
May 09, 2014 07:16AM
A cafe has to be a desirable place to go with a point of difference in the food line,the ambience created within, the view or setting, the mood of the staff with the sense that the clients are welcomed and cherished even. Create an amazing decor or table settings either chic or rustic and put your own personality with passion into it. People love to have a sense of bonding to the place and to connect with the food maker or those they are meeting for the food. Be radical with your gathering of clientele and radical with your hours or plan ahead to be different. The mass produced food that is unhealthy and ugly is out - try the nutritious simple food and do it really well. Why not make a simple food survey asking each person to complete it who comes and purchases a coffee and food. It can be dropped into a box and can be honest - ask for comments, suggestions, good and bad feedback. Take a cue from them. All the best - good food and good atmosphere speak for themselves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2014 07:21AM by mother hen.
May 09, 2014 07:51AM
I usually go to a cafe for lunch and a great coffee. I dont want a salad or meal as such at lunchtime - just a scone or a decent muffin and my husband is usually put off because he would like a couple of sandwiches. Why dont cafes have sandwiches? The closest seems to be panini or baps.
May 09, 2014 08:41AM
I'm not snobby, I'd go to a cafe that offers great food, tea, and coffee. Sometimes the old fashioned tea rooms are fabulous. I'd go with reasonable prices and retro food if it's that sort of cafe. Apple slice, custard square, cheese rolls, lamingtons etc. there are millions of cafés around offering muffins and cheese scones and flat whites so I'd work out what the style of the cafe is and go with that. You can't beat an excellent sausage roll.
May 09, 2014 10:33AM
Tea done well is a must (I often have to settle for a glass of water when out with my coffee loving husband) - a nice pot and cup - and a range of teas. More cafes are doing tea well, but unfortunately they are still in the minority.
I agree with small portions of "home made" type offerings - surely it can't be that hard to cut slices into small pieces and large pieces, make mini muffins when making their larger cousins, etc. The cafe would soon get the message which size portions their clientele preferred, but most probably need a few of each, as it's not only men or women who frequent cafes. Janet
May 10, 2014 03:02AM
Perfect Coffee - not a cupful of milk
Call me old fashioned but Im partial to a big fluffy date or cheese scone and a big salad and meat filled french loaf (Yummy)
(Both of which are very hard to find)
MMD
May 10, 2014 06:40AM
To Chchsanta - that recipe from 'Seasons Cafe' in Christchurch for Bacon and egg pie with grated potato topping sounds delicious. Would you mind passing on the recipe please? -Many thanks from Moira.
May 11, 2014 07:24AM
chchsanta _Iwould also love to have the recipe for bacon and egg pie . It seems to be an original recipe. Thanks
May 11, 2014 09:31AM
Cheesh!! Not a happy new Dunedin resident soblonde. Well there are plenty of lovely cafes around so not sure where you were but we are not that backward! Being a new resident myself a year ago I find the food so much more 'honest' than Auckland for want of a better word - great bakeries with home made cookies and slices made like they used to be with 'real' fillings, beautiful muffins full of blueberries, not just a few scattered on top, and pies not full of jelly and everything yellow like bakeries now on every corner of Auckland. Try Coffee Culture up in Roslyn - beautiful coffee, fantastic thick caramel slice and banana bread amongst other things. Plenty like that around to try.

Likewise as above I never return if the coffee is cold, or worse, WEAK! and lukewarm and milky. We all need our coffee hit and it needs to piping hot and strongish but not bitter. Overpriced items, lack of hygiene, slack service and less than cheery staff are all off putting. Something different to try is always welcome, but most importantly make it their own and don't buy in mass produced slices etc. I can make better at home myself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2014 09:45AM by crazyaboutgermanshepherds.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.