Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Coconut Milk Powder

Posted by J1 
J1
Coconut Milk Powder
May 07, 2014 04:59AM
I buy Maggi (Nestle) Coconut Milk Powder rather than canned liquid. You can turn it into cream or milk, depending on the amount of water added. It comes in a 150g box for around $5.20. I just discovered you can buy it in 1kg bags for around $22.85, which is much cheaper (the 150g box would have to cost $3.42 to match it, or, to put it another way, it's a saving of $1.80 per box/150g, if my maths is working...). That might be worthwhile knowing for anyone who uses it regularly. it would be interesting how the cost compares to buying the liquid coconut milk/cream - I don't know...
Re: Coconut Milk Powder
May 07, 2014 05:48AM
How does the quality compare with coconut cream from a tin or a tetrapak?
May 07, 2014 06:13AM
J1 thank you for the heads up!
I would be very happy to buy it in 1kg bags. Could you tell me where I would be able to purchase it?
I have been unable to find it at my local Countdown the last few times I have been there and was going to look for it at Pak'nSave next time I was passing. I find it more economical to make up the exact amount needed rather than opening a tin which always has more than I need .
J1
May 07, 2014 08:02AM
Hmm, interesting Lucy that you haven't been able to find the 150g box at your local Countdown recently as that same problem here is what led me to finding out there's a 1kg pack. My local New World and Pak'nSave are out of 150g boxes and I was trying my local Moore Wilson's when they told me they did have it but only in the 1 kg pack. So currently there might be a national supply problem.

Lucy, I think you're in Auckland(?) so you won't have a Moore Wilson's but your equivalent - Gilmour's - stocks it (it's listed here [www.gilmours.co.nz] )

To answer TPANDAV's question, I don't know as I haven't compared (I rarely buy tinned products and/or Tetrapaks). One person I spoke to in Moore Wilson's today said she found the Tetrapak coconut milk far superior to the tinned, but I've no idea how the powdered stuff rates in comparison.
May 07, 2014 08:40AM
J1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
. One person I spoke to in Moore
> Wilson's today said she found the Tetrapak coconut
> milk far superior to the tinned, but I've no idea
> how the powdered stuff rates in comparison.

I certainly agree with that. Almost all tinned coconut cream has additives, which prevent it from separating and behaving properly when cooked. I use a pure coconut cream from Aroy-D in a tetrapak and it is very good, but it's getting hard to find.

I hope I don't end up having to make it myself from fresh coconuts - totally delicious but too hard!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2014 08:41AM by TPANDAV.
May 07, 2014 08:49AM
Thanks for that information J1. I am in Tauranga and will have to go to Gilmour's. I see that I need to open an account to be able to shop there....will try and do that online this evening.
May 07, 2014 09:40AM
But don't you have to be a retailer to go to Gilmours?
May 07, 2014 10:11AM
You don't have to be a retailer to open a Gilmour's account, any kind of business is acceptable. And it is very simple to open a cash and carry account there. Be aware that not all of the prices are cheaper than a supermarket though - you need to have your wits about you.
May 09, 2014 07:18AM
I was in Woolworths this morning and asked about Coconut Milk Powder. Yes, they do have it, in the "Ethnic Section", I had always looked in the dried milk and tinned milk section previously! No Maggi (Nestle) brand. There were two to choose from. Ayam Brand, (Malaysian) 150g at $6.29 or Chaokoh Brand (Thailand) 60g at 0.99c. I have bought 2 packets of the Thai Chaokoh brand to try next week.
May 09, 2014 11:12AM
I use the powder too, mainly in my Thai pumpkin soup, as I can control the consistency, and seems to be less oily. Not sure of the price here sorry, but the pack has 2 foil sachets in it and they seem to last me for quite a while. I think too that it seems to taste a bit more coconutty, but that could be me.
May 09, 2014 11:32PM
I have tried the Thai small packets before and it a great way of only using what you need. Taste wise, in a green curry it was quite difficult to tell the difference as the curry was so fragrant and spicy anyway. I tend to use less coconut cream than usual in my curries to try to make it a bit lower in fat. I don't really use the "lite" ones and I am guessing they have less fat content therefore may split?
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.