Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

I have become a fan of.............

Posted by Dawn 
I have become a fan of.............
May 21, 2014 04:56AM
Wilcox Vivaldi potatoes. (I have no connections to their producer). They are new to me, although they've probably been around for a while! I particularly love them mashed and find them rich and buttery (as the blurb on their bag suggests) and I find they mash up beautifully and don't need butter. Also good for baking. Normally I use Agria pretty much as an all purpose potato.
Regards,
Dawn.
Re: I have become a fan of.............
May 21, 2014 06:00AM
I will look out for them.

I also am an Agria fan....nice to have a variety though.
May 21, 2014 06:34AM
Thanks Dawn they sound great .What outlet do you buy them from?
May 21, 2014 07:09AM
I have found them in New World so far Marylew.
D.
May 21, 2014 09:13AM
I have become a fan of......

Cheap cuts of meat and a good old fashioned roast.

Perfect for winter, a hands off way of cooking (throw it in a roasting dish, with seasonal vege and your away)

The smell through the house is so welcoming and comforting.

My entire family eats it - and their is always leftovers. WIN WIN

I will add some Wilcox Vivaldi potatoes to my next roast - a perfect addition!
May 21, 2014 09:55AM
Oh so right IngridO about the smells through the house being welcoming and comforting. It reminds me of winter days when the family was young I would put a complete meal into the oven and pre-set it to 'automatic' before we went out for the day and we'd come home to dinner wafting through the house. Today, I probably wouldn't trust my oldish oven to do that. I would use my crockpot instead - only two of us.
Regards,
Dawn.
PS Does anyone do automatic oven cooking now?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2014 10:24AM by Dawn.
May 21, 2014 11:00PM
Dawn - I do from time to time in winter when I know I'm going to be out all day. I hate the prep early in the morning, but am always so thankful when I get home and don't have to do much smiling smiley

I agree with you on those potatoes. I tried a box several weeks ago when all the new potatoes had disappeared off the shelves and found them to be surprisingly good. I think Perlas are pretty foul, so wasn't expecting much from another "off season" small potato (I think the boxed ones are smaller than in the bag perhaps?). It was nice to be wrong!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2014 11:01PM by Jenna.
May 21, 2014 11:26PM
You can buy the Vivaldi in a 2.5 kg bag. The first time I bought them they were smaller, but this time they are a good sized potato. I don't know how long their season lasts, or whether they are a potato which stores well and can be used throughout the year. I'm not a fan of perlas either Jenna - nothing special about them for me. Maybe it is just their size that's special about them.
Regards,
Dawn.
May 21, 2014 11:33PM
yikes, yikes, yikes..... confession time here. I like Perlas smiling smiley
J1
May 21, 2014 11:37PM
There's some info about Vivaldi on the net, including why it's called Vivaldi and the surprising fact that it's lower in calories and carbohydrates than other potatoes [en.wikipedia.org] also [news.bbc.co.uk]

It's parentage is from the Mona Lisa potato and in the UK it's also known as the "baby" potato which might help to explain all the small ones. [www.varieties.potato.org.uk]
May 22, 2014 09:40AM
Perlas rate with Nadines as my most disliked potatoes, which isn't surprising as I think they are actually the same thing only the perlas are smaller.

I'll have to try the vivaldi as I also love agria.
May 22, 2014 04:36PM
I am a big fan of South In&&dian Dosa. I feel like eating it all the time. Recently my husband went to an
In&&dian takeaway and got a dosa packed for me to satisfy my cravings.

Indian takeaway
J1
May 22, 2014 11:04PM
Interesting that he still managed to slip in his forum name and his advertisement link...
May 23, 2014 12:13AM
I really dislike the dishonesty of posters advertising their business in this forum under the pretense of adding something to the subject being discussed.
I take note of the business and if they are local, make sure I do not use their services, and also make my friends aware of their dishonest practice.
OTT? Maybe, but if basic dishonesty is apparent here, I always wonder what other dishonest practices are in place within that business.
May 23, 2014 01:17AM
J1 you've put up some interesting reading on Vivaldi (I love the name!) Neat! Now I will be able to eat twice as much after reading it's nutritional information.

(Ha.......just joking!)
Regards,
Dawn.
J1
May 23, 2014 02:38AM
Dawn: Heh, crikey, I've just been listening to this [www.youtube.com] so even if you eat twice as much of normal potatoes I'll completely understand.
May 23, 2014 02:56AM
J1 thank you for that. I've listened to five minutes of it and can't wait to hear the rest, but I'll be away shortly and will have to wait until next week when I will be near a computer again. He's a good speaker and I think he might like his potatoes?
Regards,
Dawn.
J1
May 23, 2014 05:10AM
Yes, I detect a wee bit of Irish about him so quite agree about the potatoes. Here I was thinking I was getting off topic when it's really still all about potatoes after all!
May 27, 2014 12:37PM
I found some Vivaldi potatoes today at New World. I boiled them and we ate them with Lewis Road butter. They were great! I love the fine texture and the flavour reminded me of new season potatoes.

Thanks for the heads up - I wouldn't otherwise have taken any notice.
May 27, 2014 12:40PM
Damn it! They haven't found there way down to H.B. yet. I've been looking.
May 27, 2014 11:00PM
Great TPANDAV! It's nice to get feedback and coming from you I know we're onto a good thing! I have found they boil up perfectly and as you say, reminiscent of new potatoes. They are a good all rounder potato.

Anyone else become a fan of............any other good produce/products/food?
Regards,
Dawn.
May 28, 2014 01:43AM
We love Moonlight potatoes, versatile and perfect whichever way you cook them.
J1
May 28, 2014 03:26AM
I don't know how long they've been putting it out but Hellers have a NZ free farmed bacon range (green label). On noticing it a few weeks back, I bought a pack instead of Freedom Farms and, I have to say, it tastes a lot better than FF.
May 28, 2014 06:36AM
Yes, I prefer it to FF as well.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.