Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Meat/fish and fruit combinations

Posted by Vanessa 
Meat/fish and fruit combinations
August 21, 2014 04:58AM
What combinations of meat/fish and fruit do you cook/eat?

I worked in a restaurant many many years ago and the most popular meal was John Dory topped with bananas. It was delicious. I often throw in apples or pears with a roast chicken and love chicken with apricots.

I would love to know some other ideas though...
Vanessa
Re: Meat/fish and fruit combinations
August 21, 2014 06:38AM
I hadn't thought of fish with bananas, but I'd like to try it.

With chicken I often throw in slices of lemon and also use a lemon to stuff it. I like a version of Chicken Maryland with bananas. Apricot chicken is a dish I still make from time to time.

With some pork dishes I add apple and with roast pork I like apple sauce.
Bev
August 21, 2014 06:49AM
I love lamb and apricot tagine.
August 21, 2014 08:27AM
I use dried fruit quite a lot in savoury Middle Eastern and Arabic dishes, mostly with chicken or lamb, and in pilavs, also in Venetian and Sicilian fish dishes. Currants, dried figs, dried apricots, barberries, dried sour cherries and golden raisins are my favourites.
joy
August 21, 2014 09:02AM
We like the Persian Chicken recipe. It has fruit in it. Apricots, ginger and currants and cooked in crock pot. It is Joan;s recipe
DK
August 21, 2014 09:57AM
Pork and prunes is about the only combo I like. Since I'm not a big fan of fruit I don't tend to cook with it much or order dishes with fruit in restaurants. The only exception is lemons. I love lemons.
August 21, 2014 10:00AM
I like all the above except chicken and apricots. I especially love the Middle Eastern meat dishes with dates and cinnamon, with a bit of lemon or lime juice to temper the sweetness of the dates.
August 21, 2014 10:31PM
I enjoy most of the above combinations. Lamb with tamarillos is good.
August 21, 2014 11:52PM
I love sweet/sour fruit with meat flavours. We particularly love lychees (canned) with pork or chicken stir fries with vegetables.
Regards,
Dawn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2014 11:53PM by Dawn.
August 22, 2014 12:12AM
I like nearly everything mentioned in all the posts above apart from the thought of bananas with beautiful John Dory...Vanessa was it really good? I'm still wincing! Admittedly bananas (cooked) are not a favourite of mine.
August 26, 2014 03:43AM
Stephanie - it really really is GREAT, I know sounds strange but once the bananas have softened and caramelised a bit it really hits the spot. I didnt mention it but it was also topped with parmesan cheese - I know sounds strange once again but was a best seller!
Vanessa
August 31, 2014 05:39AM
Vanessa I love the sound of the banana with John Dory and parmesan do you or or any other member know of
a similar recipe. I would love to try this.
August 31, 2014 06:58AM
I make marinated beef kebabs that have kiwifruit slices in them, they go down a treat on a bbq.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.