Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

I can't find Gruyere cheese!

Posted by mommamurf 
I can't find Gruyere cheese!
January 31, 2015 12:29AM
Where has all the Gruyere gone? I tried to buy some at the Countdown in Oamaru before Christmas for a recipe I wanted to make, but couldn't find it. I was in a hurry so didn't bother asking anyone, but I've tried since many times, in three different Countdown stores, two New Worlds, one large Four Square supermarket and two smaller Four Square shops. Nothing. I asked about it in one of the Dunedin Countdown supermarkets a few weeks ago, and the man who was stocking the shelves at the time said he had worked there for years and had never heard of it, that the shop had never stocked it. I find that hard to believe, but couldn't argue with him. Has anyone else tried and failed to find it? Where has it gone??
Re: I can't find Gruyere cheese!
January 31, 2015 12:49AM
I've lately been buying Talbot Forest Gruyère, which is sold in supermarkets, also the Aussie Butcher. It's really good, more like the real thing than most NZ versions.
January 31, 2015 03:35AM
Talbot Forest is the only NZ Gruyère these days, I think Ferndale made it until late last year. Don't know why they discontinued it. Isn't it a pain?
January 31, 2015 04:06AM
Thanks, TPANDAV and Stephanie T. I haven't seen gruyere of any brand, perhaps Talbot Forest is not sold down south? I'll Google it and see what I can find out.
January 31, 2015 04:09AM
They're in Geraldine, so I'd be surprised if you can't find any.
February 02, 2015 07:40AM
I bought some Talbot Forest gruyere from Countdown in Cambridge yesterday! Is on special at the moment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2015 07:41AM by Lorna.
February 03, 2015 09:55AM
I have seen it here in Dunedin and I can buy cut to size in the new world deli - at least i used to be able to - maybe I should check!
February 14, 2015 11:54AM
A. wee while ago I went looking for Gruyere cheese in Countdown, and when I couldn't find any, I enquired. I was told they could no longer sell it as Gruyere, (comparing it to selling Champagne), as it now must be "MADE IN GRUYERE, Switzerland to be called Gruyere. I was, therefore, told that their "Deli Swiss" cheese was the same. I purchased some (at a very reasonable cost) and, yes, it tastes the same as Gruyere, and I can highly recommend it.

The packaging states: Packed for Progressive Enterprises By Dairyworks, 718 Halswell Junction Road, Hornby, Christchurch 8025. The barcode is 9421018082047. Hope this helps.
February 14, 2015 10:28PM
Daisy, thanks for that piece of information. I hadn't realised that about Gruyere so had to do a bit of research through our old friend Dr G. What next? No more Swiss Chard? No wait, isn't that Silver Beet? French fries, well, they are usually now called just fries or chip. Where there is a will there is a way.
February 15, 2015 12:15AM
That's fantastic, Daisy, thank you so much! That certainly explains the mysterious disappearance of the Gruyere. I shall go hunting for Deli Swiss from now on. Thanks again.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.