Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Passionfruit

Posted by Vanessa 
Passionfruit
February 14, 2015 12:39AM
Why don't we see passionfruit in the supermarket anymore and why are they so expensive.
Vanessa
Re: Passionfruit
February 14, 2015 02:22AM
I'm not sure, given that they grow happily in most parts of NZ. I got sick of the prices in the supermarket, and planted one at the end of last summer, it's got about a dozen fruit on it, not bad for it's first year. In fact I think it was a message on this forum that prompted me to plant one, so thank you to whoever it was that posted.
February 14, 2015 03:06AM
We bought some at the Farmers' Market today, not overly expensive. Our own aren't ready yet but the stall holder said they have something of a micro climate where they are (just out of Tauranga). I have seen some in New World but I am not sure of their origin.
As Griz inferred, the prices in the supermarket are a bit eye watering.
February 15, 2015 05:04AM
Just got back from shopping at Countdown where they had passionfruit for the eye-watering price of $35/kg. Limes almost as bad at $30/kg (or $29.99 to be precise). Passionfruit I can live without, regardless of the price, but not limes. Fortunately I have a Tahitian lime tree which is still producing just enough fruit to keep me going. FYI Marnie, Tahitian limes ripen to yellow, just like lemons.
Lynne2
February 15, 2015 06:34AM
Lynne2, I think my description of the Mexican limes probably wasn't as accurate as it should have been. I often see Tahitian limes that do look like lemons and I to recognise those as limes. We have a Tahitian lime tree growing, but it is nowhere near as fruitful as I'd like it to be. The Mexican ones I bought have a very distinct orange skin, but not as smooth as an orange.
February 16, 2015 10:28PM
I know that passionfruit are very fickle for the home gardener so perhaps they are for commercial gardeners as well.
They are prone to root problems and can get heavily hit by fungus.
Passionfruit also have a relatively short life expcectancy.

I just assume that these factors contribute to price - I saw them here for around $3 each.

Limes are technically out of season here so the green jewels in the shops will be imported.
Tahitian limes are generally at their best in NZ early-mid winter. We have about 6 trees and all are prolific at fruiting.
February 17, 2015 02:03AM
I tried to grow them once, managed about 2 per vine - I wish they were more readily available in the shops - however whenever I see them, they are way too expensive. I just buy the pulp now and always have it on hand.
February 17, 2015 02:07AM
We also tried growing without success - and have limited space. How I wish I knew someone with a prolific vine sad smiley What I have started buying is the Shott Passionfruit Syrup - that is extremely nice, but no seeds in it. Lovely in drinks - but oh to have passionfruit. And once or twice a year I will indulge and buy them.
February 17, 2015 02:50AM
Our passionfruit have been so disappointing for the last two seasons that we are going to haul the vine out. It is is huge and covered with fruit, but the fruit mainly falls off well before it is ripe, and those fruits that do ripen are sour. It may be the drought conditions, or may be a disease, but we're giving up.
February 17, 2015 05:19AM
I planted a new passionfruit a few months back. It is in a tyre filled with rich growing matter and against a fence where it gets airflow but not a battering. All was looking good until a few days ago when it has started to drop leaves - beautiful green leaves just falling off and it is gradually starting to wilt.
I have no idea why, no sign of bugs or fungus, just a wilting vine - aargh.
February 17, 2015 07:48AM
I have a very sad looking vine that produced about 9 fruit but as I am away from home for an extended period, on the day I returned for a few hours I decided to pick them even though they were still green. I was hoping they would ripen, but they've just shrivelled up to a funny pale purplish-brown colour and the contents are not a very good flavour. Edible, but only just.
February 17, 2015 08:41PM
After a passion fruit drought I can say this year I have a producing vine, enough to have one or two a day at present.
February 18, 2015 11:54PM
Hi
If anyone is wanting to purchase limes for cheaper than the supermarket, check out our site below.
www.twistedcitrus.co.nz

We sell seasonal citrus, hand picked to order from orchards in Gisborne, couriered to your door, throughout NZ.
Currently we have lemons, limes and avocados available.
Thanks

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2015 11:59PM by Citrus Girl.
February 19, 2015 05:19AM
Hi Citrus Girl

Always good to hear from someone with a solution.

I have plenty of lemons and limes growing so do not need to buy any.

Your prices are really good so I hope this helps out some of our Foodlovers' followers.
February 20, 2015 08:11PM
Very informative, Im not really a gardner so havent got the appreciation of things being tricky to grow and though with all theses hybrid things popping up and new varieties growing passionfruit wouldnt be a problem.
Im sure many kiwis have memories as kids eating passionfruit straight of the neighbours vine, grapes too, now they arent the same either!
Vanessa
February 21, 2015 07:05AM
Not sure if this is of help from Adelaide, but anyways - listening to the gardening programme on the ABC this morning, the gardening expert said in response to a question about growing passionfruit, that they can often take 3 - 5 years to get going. He said during that period to not over-fertilise, prune excessively or over-water - that would stimulate vigorous growth at the expense of fruit and flowers. He also recommended pinching out the tips of the 4 or 5 strongest leaders.
March 03, 2015 11:09PM
Thanks Sandy smiling smiley
March 09, 2015 07:32AM
Passion fruit need to be cut back at the end of winter as they only fruit on new wood. They are also gross feeders and all I give mine are sheep pellets.They also need to be watered or they drop leaves. Last year I got over 100 fruit off one vine but this year the vine was hit by bugs but still managed to get quite a lot. They are still ripening.
March 09, 2015 08:57AM
Heather F and Claremary thank you for the positive feedback on growing passion fruit. I am determined now to grow them and succeed . Thanks
March 09, 2015 09:36AM
I didn't know there was such a lot of work involved....I bought a small plant last year, dug a hole beside a fence (quite dry and gravelly) threw in a handful of fertiliser and the plant and extended the watering system so it gets a bit of water when I remember it.
It's got about five fruit on it this year (first year so I'm pretty happy to have any), and it's growing like billyo! Tough love, works for plants too!
March 09, 2015 10:19AM
Hi Griz Vanessa was asking why Passion fruit was so expensive. Judging from the feed back here they are not so easy to grow.Heather F and Claremary are trying to help us here in our quest to grow successful vines . It would be great if a local market Passion fruit grower would give us tips . Obviously that wont happen .Maybe an ex grower will tip us off?
March 18, 2015 10:45AM
I bought a kg of passionfruit at the Farmers' Market in New Plymouth last weekend for $5. Couldn't believe the price - they're 4 times that here in Nelson, and they are delicious. I think the supplier was Awatotara Orchard. Worth checking out this if you're in the area!
March 18, 2015 11:37AM
I wish I had been at that market. I bought 4 last week, cost almost $4. They were quite sour, so I was so disappointred.
March 19, 2015 08:49AM
Yes, I got a kg of passionfruit at our local weekend market, for $6.99, cheaper now they're in season...they were beautiful too!
March 20, 2015 01:04AM
On a slightly different note, my friend just gave her husband a big bag of passionfruit for their 4th wedding anniversary! (4 years = Fruit and flowers)

cute idea!
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.