Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Tarts and Quiche

Posted by helen 
Tarts and Quiche
April 14, 2015 04:38AM
I always think that tarts and quiche are perfect autumn fare.
Now that the weather has cooled (overnight) I have bought new tart tins and ready to cook.
Roasted pumpkin and feta is a favourite combination but I want to think of some more.
What are some of your favourite tart flavours?
Re: Tarts and Quiche
April 14, 2015 07:18AM
Anything with bacon or salmon!!
Roasted red pepper and bacon
Spinach and feta

I also love a Quiche Lorraine made properly!!
April 14, 2015 07:25AM
Cheese lover I catered a friends wedding last weekend and did tiny spinach and feta tarts as canapes.
I buttered 4 sheets of filo stacked and then cut the into small squares and into mini muffin tins. These I filled with spinach and feta mixture (dill, mint, egg, parmesan etc...), sprinkled with pine nuts and baked. They looked cute and tasted great.
April 14, 2015 08:24AM
Cheese Lover - your mention of Quiche Lorraine is good timing. I saw Helen's post earlier in the day, but have been too busy to comment. When I was at High School many, many and I mean many years ago - I won a Book Voucher as a prize. I remember going shopping with Mum and purchasing the Margaret Fulton AWW Cookbook - and I still have it. When I look at the book now, it had extremely exotic recipes for the late 60s/early 70s.

The Quiche Lorraine recipe in the book was absolutely beautiful and beat all these self crusting recipes etc hands down. After reading Helen's thread I was thinking I must dig the book out tonight and make it this weekend for us.
April 14, 2015 08:50AM
Irene I would love you to find that recipe for Quiche Lorraine and share it . That is my favourite quiche recipe but one I have never made.
April 14, 2015 09:07AM
I'd love that recipe, too, Irene, if you can manage it at some stage. I do like sweet things, but I LOVE savoury tarts, quiches, pies, etc and if I had to choose between never again having one or the other, the sweets would go and the savoury stuff would definitely stay.
April 14, 2015 09:09AM
Hi ladies - will definitely type it out but it may take a couple of days I am sorry.Work has been absolutely frantic - but I will pull the book out so I don't forget. If you don't get it by the end of the week, PLEASE NUDGE ME!!!

Just adding to this - I went and got the book out now so I don't forget and the book is from 1968 smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2015 09:11AM by Irene Field.
April 14, 2015 09:22AM
Irene, can I be a "me too, please". I thought I had her recipe but the one I have has been adapted.

Helen, if you are including sweet ones, Custard Tart is one of my favourites.
April 14, 2015 09:46AM
Leek and smoked cheese quiche. Yum.

Your mention of roasted pumpkin and feta has me quite excited though. I'd forgotten all about that combination and will be making it very soon! I love quiche, but my family only tolerate it, so it is a sometimes meal around here, sigh.
April 14, 2015 11:23AM
This ottolenghi recipe is really nice, veggie full tart,

[www.ottolenghi.co.uk]

I have used cottage cheese instead of ricotta, as that is what I generally have in the fridge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2015 11:26AM by Karen.
April 14, 2015 01:00PM
No hurry, Irene - just whenever you have time will be fine! Thank you.
April 14, 2015 10:50PM
Tart ideas

Anything with a tasty cheese, yes bacon too. (goats cheese is a fav of mine BUT expensive especially in a tart)
Caramelised onions and leeks.
Anything with olives or anchovies - love these things!
What about a smoked fish with a creamy sauce, I guess its not a tart, more a pie but delicious.
Asparagus is always a winner as well. (even tinned)
Garlic roasted vegetables including slow roasted tomatoes/sun dried with a egg/cheese/milk mix.
Make a basic quiche mix and add meat from the might before thats been slow roasted, pulled pork, beef cheeks, lamb shanks - shredded and add fresh herbs.
Potato, garlic and bacon - sliced very finely like scalloped potatoes.

Vanessa
Bev
April 15, 2015 12:32AM
I love a good rustic vegetable tart.

This one here is also very nice, it always goes down well and is easy to make.

[www.bbcgoodfood.com]?
April 15, 2015 01:32AM
Quiche Lorraine © - Published by Margaret Fulton in The Margaret Fulton Cookbook 1968

1 Flan Case (Short Pastry)
3-4 Rashers Bacon
3 thin slices Swiss or Gruyere Cheese
2 Eggs
1 tspn Plain Flour
pinch ground Nutmeg
1/2 tspn Salt
pinch Cayenne
1/2 cup Cream
1/2 cup Milk
1 tbspn melted Butter
Watercress or Parsley to garnish

Trim rind off bacon and grill until crisp. Drain and cut into pieces about 1/2 inch square. Cut cheese the same size as bacon. Place in pastry case in layers.

Beat together eggs, flour, nutmeg, salt, cayenne, cream and milk, only until combined (over beating causes bubbles on top). Stir in melted butter. Strain over bacon and cheese and bake in hot oven (200ºC) for 10 minutes, reduce heat to moderate (180ºC) and bake further 20 minutes or until a knife inserted in custard comes out clean. Garnish with watercress or parsley and serve warm with tossed salad. Serves 4 - 6
April 15, 2015 02:23AM
In case anyone's interested in an authentic Quiche Lorraine, here's a detailed description and recipe. This is the way they are still made in the Alsace-Lorraine region, and they were sold at every bakery when we were there a few years ago.

[www.theguardian.com]
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.