Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

The Garlic Shaker

Posted by Irene Field 
The Garlic Shaker
May 23, 2015 07:15AM
I saw this tip on FB this week and guffawed. I have just completed a successful trial. and I have to share...

How to peel a garlic clove successfully and with minimal effort. The instructions were to use a mason jar, but I only had a small ex jam/chutney jar. Cut the ends off the garlic and place in the jar. Put the lid on and close, and then shake, shake, shake. It helps to have some good music on the sound system you can shake to (but you should be shaking the jar not your booty.. The end result.. one peeled clove of garlic. Yes I kid you not. There was not one iota of skin left on the garlic.
Re: The Garlic Shaker
May 23, 2015 07:54AM
Thank you will certainly try this method.
May 23, 2015 08:21AM
Surely it is easier and quicker to just put the garlic on a chopping board, put a knife blade on top, hit it once with your fist and peel the skin off. Then you can do what with it. Unless you need to shake your booty for other reasons!
May 23, 2015 09:19AM
Wasn't there a recent discussion here, or pointer to an online article re using a similar technique for peeling hard boiled eggs? Or perhaps I dreamt it ... Surely even by the time you cut the ends off the garlic, got the container out, let alone put a lid on it and did the watusi thing, you could have peeled a whole bulb of garlic using the whack it under a knife blade method Griz mentioned.
Lynne2
May 23, 2015 10:03AM
Irene, did the garlic clove get bruised ? The reason I ask is that the flavour is altered by bruising or squashing, so sometimes peeling garlic by squashing whole cloves isn't suitable and your method could be handy.
May 23, 2015 03:19PM
I used the knife method and couldn't figure out what the fuss about peeling garlic was. However... I have a small jar kept in the cupboard right by the sink, and the next time I have to peel more than one garlic clove (which is usually the norm) I will try all cloves at once The clove was in pristine condition (I only used the one as George got to the others before I could) and I hate that even with the knife method you still get bits of skin, and if they aren't sticking to the garlic they are sticking to you. I am going to keep my garlic jar under the bench, just for this. Will report back when I try more than one clove. And a bit of arm shaking work out never hurt the biceps smiling smiley
May 23, 2015 10:55PM
I put on my rubber gloves and gently roll the clove on a board kept specifically for onions and garlic. The garlic skins comes off easily.
The shaking would be a good way to get some exercise at the same time, though.
May 24, 2015 11:17AM
There are some video clips on the net where a guy shakes umpteen cloves of garlic in a small stainless steel bowl with another one acting as a lid. From memory, it works best with garlic that's not too fresh.
[creeklinehouse.com] This is just one of many.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.