Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Jelly Whip.

Posted by marylew 
Jelly Whip.
June 05, 2015 07:08AM
A dessert called Jelly Whip. What is it and how is it made?I think it might be an old fashioned recipe these days.I had it only once when I was in Hospital many years ago and I am guessing that this was the name of it.
Re: Jelly Whip.
June 05, 2015 07:38AM
In my childhood Jelly Whip was also (incorrectly) called Flummery and it was made by making up a packet of jelly crystals (do they still exist?) with water and cooling it until it started to set, then whipping a can of evaporated milk until foamy, then folding the two together and putting in the fridge to set. It was horrible.
June 05, 2015 08:27AM
Sorry I disagree, Tpandav. I know it's not fashionable now but the children still enjoy it as do some older ladies at our bowling club.
I find the old recipes especially out of the Edmonds book are nice and reliable. I know I am old fashioned
June 07, 2015 02:25AM
Im intrigued, not for me, I cant stand jelly but for the kids. I just looked in the index of my Edmonds book and its not there.

[www.taste.com.au]

This could work with lemon jelly crystals for a quick and easy lemon mousse?
Would it still work using lite evaporated milk? Im sure it would, its the jelly setting it.

Vanessa
June 07, 2015 02:54AM
The issue I have with jelly is that the packet stuff has no flavour. I much prefer to make my own jelly from fruit juice or wines, so much nicer and using leaf gelatine gives a more delicate texture.
June 07, 2015 03:25AM
Check this jelly out - spiced plum and beetroot. Its Ingrid (my sister, her mother in laws recipe)

[foodopera.com]

Vanessa
June 07, 2015 09:06AM
Thank you Vanessa and Valralph, I visited an old lady in a retirement home and that was what she was longing for. I told her that I might have had tasted it once and it might have been called Jelly Whip.Thanks for the link Vanessa will make that and deliver this week.
June 12, 2015 05:07AM
Just out of interest Vanessa, in my Edmonds recipe book the jelly whip recipe is under "Swiss Cream or Jelly Fluff" so you may be able to find it in your Edmonds book after all.

The recipe in the taste.com.au website you linked varies in that it uses 2 pkts jelly crystals, 2 cups hot water, and 1 tin unsweetened condensed milk, whereas the Edmonds recipe has 1 pkt jelly crystals, 1 cup hot water, 1 tin unsweetened condensed milk. I suspect the Edmonds recipe will be far nicer than the Taste.com.au recipe because there is less jelly crystals and less water to 1 can of unsweetened condensed milk. I loved Swiss Cream when I was a child!

I see there is also an Edmonds recipe called Melrose Cream which has equal quantities of custard and liquid jelly mixed together when cool and set in a wet mould. I don't remember ever eating this one.
Regards,
Dawn.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.