Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

How do you store celery?

Posted by Sandy 
How do you store celery?
June 06, 2015 07:28AM
Has anyone got a tried and true method to store celery to keep it crisp and last a reasonable time.
I always find mine goes limp within a few days. I often only use a few sticks at a time but then have to throw the rest out.
There are a few different ways touted on the web but I would rather try a way someone here uses regularly.
Re: How do you store celery?
June 06, 2015 08:08AM
I wash the celery and shake as much water off as possible. I then put the celery (leaves removed and some kept for soup) into suitable a Tupperware container. Every other day or so I drain off any accumulated moisture and the celery keeps fresh for over a week.
June 06, 2015 08:42AM
I just cut the leaves off, and put it in a supermarket shopping bag, seems to stay fresh for a reasonable amount of time.
June 06, 2015 08:55AM
Wrap it tightly in aluminium foil and it will keep fresh and firm for ages.
June 06, 2015 09:02AM
I agree with mommamurf. This subject came up once before and I tried the tin foil wrap and It does work.
June 06, 2015 09:36AM
Me too on the foil. Very easy and really does work!
June 06, 2015 09:43AM
I do what Griz does - well wrapped in a supermarket shopping bag (no ends or leaves hanging out) and store it at the very back of the shelf above the crisper bin - not in the bin itself. Keeps for ages for me - the current lot has been there almost 2 weeks and is still nice and crisp.
Lynne2
June 06, 2015 01:33PM
I cut mine into sticks - put them into snap lock bags and seal. I also put the leaves and the smaller top stalks in another bag for stocks etc and freeze smiling smiley
I never have any waste at all.
June 06, 2015 03:53PM
It was Jamie Oliver who recommended tinfoil. I have been using that ever since. Keeps the celery perfect for ages.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2015 03:53PM by Ali W.
June 06, 2015 10:30PM
I buy a whole celery, use what I need and cut up the stalks, put in a zip lock bag and put in the freezer. Of course its not great in a salad once thawed but great in soups, stews, stocks ect and good to know Ive always got it on hand.
Vanessa
June 07, 2015 12:26PM
Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I am going to try a different one each time I buy celery for the next few months and see which one works best for me. It's much better to try things when you know someone else has found it to work
Many thanks again.
June 08, 2015 11:17PM
Sandy, try the foil option first; you may not need to try the others once you see how well your celery keeps in foil.
June 08, 2015 11:48PM
Yes - foil definitely!
D.
June 09, 2015 01:38PM
I'll give the foil one a try first. I'm looking forward to not wasting so much. I know it's great in soup and sometimes freeze it when it's limp, but I love crispy celery so hope this will do the trick.
Dil
June 17, 2015 08:01AM
Wrap in foil. I heard this tip from a chef.
June 21, 2015 02:24AM
Many years ago, I was given a green container shaped like a bunch of celery and it has a screw top lid. I wash and trim the celery and pop into container and keep in fridge. Celery lasts for quite a while. I do see the containers periodically so must still be available.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.