Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Scones

Posted by marylew 
Scones
June 18, 2015 11:09AM
Does any member have a favourite scone recipe that tastes good fresh, can be frozen and then thawed tasting like freshly baked?I am looking for either sweet or savoury .
Re: Scones
June 19, 2015 12:34AM
Yes I have 1! Will send to you later on! In a private message!
June 19, 2015 02:08AM
I use the Edmonds book one and add chopped bacon and grated cheese but I also add some bacon fat at the same time I'm rubbing in the butter. Probably about 2 tablespoons of bacon fat.
I then freeze the scones when cool and take them to work to have with soup. Can provide the edmonds recipe if needed
June 19, 2015 08:57AM
Yes please GHBBUISNESS and emmadowd. I am moving house soon and have packed up already my go to cookbooks so I just thought that I would take take an easy way out and ask members if they have a special recipe. Thanks for the replies.
June 22, 2015 06:47AM
Helen posted Tastebud Cafe's Cheese Scones several years ago. They are my absolute favourite. Easy to halve the recipe. I always have a carton of buttermilk in my freezer.
Regards,
Dawn.

helen [ PM ]
Re: NZWW for cafe cheese scones
July 14, 2012 11:11AM Admin

Here is the recipe with credit to the Tastebud Cafe in Tairua.

TASTEBUD CAFÉ CHEESE SCONES

8 cups self raising flour
1 tsp salt
75g butter, cold
3 cups grated tasty cheddar cheese
600ml buttermilk
½ -¾ cup milk
Extra grated cheese

1. Preheat oven to 210 C. Sift flour and salt into a large bowl and grate in butter. Rub the butter in until the mixture resembles crumbs.
2. Mix in the grated cheese.
3. make a well in the centre and pour in buttermilk and enough milk to make a soft dough. The dough should be slightly soft – not too dry.
4. Tip dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a rectangle approximately 5 cm high. Cut into 12 pieces and place on a cold tray. Sprinkle with extra grated cheese.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and firm.

TIP: According to the Jill the Tastebud Café cook who makes these scones, the texture of the scone dough should be as soft as your ear lobe!
June 22, 2015 07:03AM
Thank you so much Dawn perfect.I love cheese scones but have never made them.I will do now.
June 24, 2015 02:17AM
Ok. This is from memory so someone may want to check smiling smiley

3 cups flour
6 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
50grams butter
1 and 1/4 cups milk

Heat oven approx 200 (recipe said 220 but the bums burnt for me so I do 200)
Sift the flour, baking powder and salt. Rub in the butter (I always add about 2 tablespoons bacon fat if I have it regardless of type of scone but more so for savoury scones). If just doing plain scones then you would add the milk now, mix roll onto floured board and I flip once and then hand push into flat rectangular shape about an inch high. Then cut coat in milk, cut into squares/circles whatever smiling smiley and cook for approx 10-15mins (or until golden and toothpick comes out clean)
If doing savoury I would add grated cheese (reserving some for topping), I use approx 1-11/2 cups (edam for me), cooked chopped bacon (usually add the fresh bacon fat from cooking the bacon too) and rub this into mixture then add milk and continue as above except instead of coating in milk I coat in cheese. Cooking time is a bit longer.
Sour Cream Scones
June 24, 2015 06:45AM
Hi there

Does anyone have a recipe for scones that uses sour cream and lemonade? And if anyone has a really good date and orange scone recipe, that would also be welcomed.

Thanks
Rachel
June 24, 2015 07:04AM
Thank you emmadowd . I see that RachelH is looking for a recipe using using sour cream and lemonade which is an interesting combination. I hope someone can help her.
Re: Sour Cream Scones
June 24, 2015 07:16AM
I've made cream and lemonade scones before, quite successfully. Just Google "Lemonade scones recipe" and it'll come up. I've also made lemonade pancakes, with diet lemonade, and they are rather good, although these days I don't do artificial sweetner so I just make normal pancakes now.
Bev
June 24, 2015 07:45AM
There is a cheese scone recipe from Federal Diner in the latest Cuisine magazine. It has no butter. The recipe looked big to me yet the recipe only said 12 scones. I halved the recipe and got 14 scones so I guess theirs must be pretty big. I baked them a little longer as we like a crunchy scone. They were nice and I would make them again.
June 24, 2015 10:31AM
I also made those scones, I made 12, and yes, they were "cafe" sized, but very good. Had them with the pumpkin soup from the soup thread on Sunday night.
June 25, 2015 10:40PM
Yes I tried the Federal recipe too and cooked it longer. Not being a very successful scone maker and lazy.I liked the recipe as no rolling or patting out the dough was required.
June 27, 2015 10:46AM
I have a delicious sweet pumpkin scone recipe if you're interested (and I can find it). It was in a magazine years ago, I thought I'd lost it, and found it in the magazine with my knitting that the pattern was in.

I Have been hunting for a scone recipe myself, one for shearers' buns. They are a sweet scone with currants and just the right amount of spice, and cut in rounds. I suppose I could improvise but I'd really quite like to find the real recipe. I am aware the Country Calendar recipe book contains a recipe, but it is nothing like the one I've made before. One of my brothers brought it home from a friend's mother around 25 years ago. Unfortunately my mother has since lost it.
June 28, 2015 09:50PM
Hi Jodyw75. The sweet pumpkin scone recipe sounds great. I would love to have it Thank you.
July 06, 2015 01:21AM
Bev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is a cheese scone recipe from Federal Diner
> in the latest Cuisine magazine. It has no butter.
> The recipe looked big to me yet the recipe only
> said 12 scones. I halved the recipe and got 14
> scones so I guess theirs must be pretty big. I
> baked them a little longer as we like a crunchy
> scone. They were nice and I would make them
> again.

Bev, could you perhaps tell me in which edition of Cuisine the recipe was featured? I've requested the May and July editions from my library, unfortunately the June one is not available and as we are now into July I guess I can't purchase that edition any longer. Many thanks.
Bev
July 06, 2015 01:58AM
Hi Chris, It is in the issue that is in the shops at the moment, with a pink cover.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2015 02:01AM by Bev.
July 06, 2015 08:15AM
Thanks, Bev.
Bev
July 06, 2015 10:10AM
Let me know if you can't find it as I could type it out and email to you
July 07, 2015 08:13AM
Bev, thanks for the offer to PM me the recipe. I managed to get the Cuisine (July issue). I've had lunch at the Federal Diner quite a few times but never spotted the scones on the counter. They'd probably sold out by the time I arrived. Will stop by soon and try one so that I'll know what the texture should be like.
July 08, 2015 10:17AM
Made these tonight yum......
will be my go to scone recipe from now on!

I did add one finely sliced sp onion, and a 1/4 tsp dry mustard powder. My daughter just said they are the best cheese scones I have made :-)

Cheese Scones

2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
2 cups grated tasty cheese
1 cup full-cream milk

Preheat oven to 220º C. Put the tray in to heat.
Sift flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and cayenne pepper into a bowl. Mix in cheese. Make a well in the centre.

Check you have a clear bench with flour on it, the oven is fully heated. You want the scones to go into the oven as soon as possible.

Add the milk, mix quickly with a knife. Turn out onto a floured bench and quickly shape into a 3 cm thick rectangle. Cut into 8 and put on to your floured, hot tray. Bake for 15-20 minutes. You’ll smell them as they get ready.

Delicious! If you don’t eat them all they freeze well. To reheat put them into an oven for about 5 minutes.

Use this recipe well, it has certainly helped me out of some scapes, and really will delight all who eat them.

Tips for scones

1 Heat the oven – it must be hot
2. Preheat the tray – put it in when you turn the oven on.
3. Add all the milk at once – it should be a wet rather than a dry mixture
4. Mix quickly by making slicing actions with a knife, just enough to bind together. Don’t over mix.
5. Touch the mixture as little as possible and get it into the oven asap after mixing the milk in.

Oh and one last thing, use a strong tasty cheddar for a truly delicious scone.

from

[lifeandcheese.com]
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.