Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Help with Coffee Caramel Cream Roulade

Posted by Karen 
Help with Coffee Caramel Cream Roulade
June 19, 2015 12:53AM
I am going to make 2 of these deserts for my husbands family dinner this weekend, now being a novice at cooking the roulade meringue part, can i cook 2 in the oven at the same time, as in will they cook ok ? should I set my oven to fan bake (not fan forced) or just leave as normal bake, just heat from the bottom, or I can set it to bake with heat from top and bottom. My oven is a fisher paykel one.
Here is the recipe, I have just made filling and YUM... just need to master the roulade part now !!!!

6 egg whites
1 1/2 cups caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon malt vinegar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 tablespoon cornflour
Extra cocoa for dusting

Filling
300ml pottle thickened cream
1/2 cup caramel condensed milk
1 teaspoon instant coffee powder

Preheat oven to 165°C. Line a large baking tray with paper. Beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Increase speed and gradually add sugar a ¼ cup at a time until thick and glossy. Beat in vanilla and vinegar. Sift over cocoa and cornflour and fold in.

Spread mixture on the baking tray in a rectangle about 28cm x 33cm. Bake 10 minutes then reduce oven to 150°C and bake a further 15-18 minutes or until puffed, pale golden and dry to the touch.

Cool for 5 minutes (meringue will deflate at this stage) then carefully flip over on to a cocoa-dusted sheet. Let cool completely.

Filling
Combine thickened cream, caramel milk and coffee powder. Spread over meringue then roll up, using the baking paper to help. Wrap roulade in foil and chill until serving – at least 2 hours or freeze for up to 2 weeks. (Thaw in fridge 30 minutes or at room temperature 15 minutes.) Garnish with a drizzle of melted chocolate, a dusting of cocoa or some chocolate-coated coffee beans.

Serves 8-10

- See more at: [nzhouseandgarden.co.nz]
Re: Help with Coffee Caramel Cream Roulade
June 19, 2015 01:42AM
I'd tend to cook them one at a time, but if you want to do them both together then I'd use the fan forced setting on your stove. [www.fisherpaykel.com] If you scroll through to page 6 in the manual you'll see that fan forced is for multi shelf cooking (which presumably you'd be doing if you are cooking two at once.)
June 19, 2015 01:58AM
Thanks Griz, I was thinking the same that cooking one at a time might be the safest option, since there are so many eggs, don`t really want to mess it up!
joy
June 19, 2015 02:04AM
I find that I get better results cooking them one at at time. Also if you did two, it would put you under a bit of pressure to get the filled and rolled nicely.
June 19, 2015 03:32AM
Joy the pressure has been actually getting the egg whites to work!! My first one is a fail.... Just wondering if I should try my next one or choose something else to use the filling up.

I couldn`t get the whites to whip up to be firm, so my roulade is sort of flat and chewy! I think when the recipe says to get eggs to foam stage I needed to take a bit further than I did? Conundrum do I try with another 6 eggs?????
June 19, 2015 03:35AM
Is the recipe online, Karen? You'd definitely need to take the eggs further than foam, it is more usual (I think, I've only ever made savoury roulades) to add sugar at the foam stage but keep whipping to make a firm meringue...do you have an electric mixer or are you trying to do it by hand?
June 19, 2015 03:44AM
HI Griz I did add the sugar at the "foam stage" but after that it didn`t get to a thick stage it was quite runny but glossy this was whipping with my kenwood multi with the whisk attachment. Looking at the image on line the roulade part seems to be reasonably thick.
June 19, 2015 05:06AM
Can you post a link to the recipe, might make it easier to see what has gone wrong.
June 19, 2015 05:10AM
If you mean you are using a stick blender with a whisk attachment then I think you'll have to whisk for a very long time to get an appropriately thick meringue.
June 19, 2015 05:19AM
Hi Griz here is the link
[nzhouseandgarden.co.nz]

I did attempt a second which looked a little more promising but still nowhere near the image on the recipe. I am just going to fill and see how it goes. I know the guests (family) will have had a wine or 3 time dessert rolls around so may not notice winking smiley
June 19, 2015 05:47AM
Ok recipe total FAIL. was unable to roll... so ended up layering looks like a dogs breakfast, but made with "love"

Now off to use the 12 egg yolks I have left over.........
June 19, 2015 06:29AM
I would say that either you didn't whisk the whites and sugar long enough (the mixture should end up so thick that it stands up in peaks when you lift the whisk up) or you were too heavy handed folding in the cocoa and cornflour and deflated the mixture. What a shame.

Do you want suggestions for using the yolks?
joy
June 19, 2015 07:36AM
Karen I make a lot of pav rolls, they are the same as your roularde. You must beat your whites stiff and then beat in your sugar a bit at a time till the sugar is dissolved and mixture shiny. Use a real clean bowl and your beaters must be spotless or the whites wont beat nicely. I make mine on a oven tray lined with damp baking paper and have a baking rack covered with baking paper ready to turn the pav out on to, peel off the paper then let cool a little and then fill while flat and then take the edges of the baking paper on the cake rack,roll up carefully. I make heaps of them for catering and put in the freezer.They freeze well and I remove from freezer about 30 min before serving.

I forgot to say I sprinkle nuts and coconut on the pav roll before cooking, they look and taste great. So good luck.
June 19, 2015 07:46AM
Thanks for all the tips, I think I agree that even though I kept beating for a good 5 min it needed more, but I think if there is a next time I would instead of using the method they suggested to add sugar when eggs are foamed, I would do as Joy suggested adding sugar a bit later in the beating of the eggs.

I think I am going to give ice cream ago, with the egg yolks

[www.taste.com.au]

This recipe seems easy enough.

At least one of my new recipes worked

[www.thekitchn.com]

Haven't cooked them yet, but the mixture tastes really good!
June 19, 2015 10:13AM
Just as a point of reference, I make pavs regularly too, I use a Kenwood stand mixer, and I whisk on full speed for around 10 minutes to get it appropriately textured.
June 20, 2015 01:50AM
Joy questions I have about Pav Rolls.Do you just flick water onto the baking paper and not use butter to grease under or on top of the baking paper?Do you smooth over the top with a spatula and cook, and then how long do you leave it before filling it?You say you freeze them is that filled or unfilled?Sorry about all the questions but I can't make a Pav roll to look like the ones in the photos.
June 20, 2015 03:03AM
I make them often as well, I remember my first one resembled a badly misshapen football LOL
I put baking paper on the oven tray right to the edges, I just spray but I know the water trick works well too, so either way. I also put finely sliced almonds & coconut on top. I only cook mine for 5-7 mins turn out onto a sieved with icing sugar baking paper again (it is upside down at this point) & leave to cool a bit I then fill & roll up folding the paper under as I go & then carefully flip onto serving plate.
Good luck for another time they are lovely & worth mastering.
joy
June 20, 2015 03:23AM
Hi Marylew. I just put my baking paper under the cold tap and shake the excess off. Yes I use a spatula to spread the mixture out and smooth it. I leave cool a little and then spread my filling, I dont let get cold as I find they roll better slightly warm. But not too hot or your filling will melt. Yes I freeze them filled. i have some large pie boxes and I can fit 4 in and they keep well. Sometimes I freeze on the serving platter and garnish before serving with grated chocolate and fresh fruit. Hope this helps.
joy
June 20, 2015 05:14AM
Well I just had to give the recipe a go and did so this morning. The mixture beat up beautifully, but what a big mixture. I decided it would be too big to roll into one roulade, so made two rolls out of the mixture. They nearly filled my large oven tray. So real big. Shortened the cooking time to 15min bursts and just checked by touch till I though it was right.

I made the filling while the first one cooked, When cooked I turned it out onto baking paper to cool a little and removed the cooking paper, which stuck a little.. I found it was a crisper, sticky texture,so I filled it while slightly warm and quickly rolled it then put in fridge. The crispness of it did make it a bit difficult to roll. But it looked good when on the plate. I liked the rustic look of it. The other one came out the same. So one goes to my Daughters and family and half the other to a friend. Yes and Hubby and I will try the other half.

Would I make it again, the flavor, yes . The roll recipe no, as I would just alter my favorite recipe by adding cocoa and filling with the given coffee caramel filling.
I found there was a lot of sugar per egg in the original recipe and to my taste too much cornflour. But others might disagree and enjoy it??
June 20, 2015 05:49AM
Good on you Joy no mucking around. You are saying thumps up to the filling but you would use your own roulade recipe.It is a very impressive looking roulade in the photo.Is your recipe similar?
joy
June 20, 2015 10:05AM
Marylew, the sugar is just about double in this recipe, one I like uses 3/4 cup to 8 egg whites also the cornflour is double . Rest the same.
The ones I made look much the same as the link, We tried it tonight for dessert, was nice and chocolaty but very sweet
June 21, 2015 08:41AM
I agree with all the comments re water on paper for pav or rolls and not too much sugar as they are a soft roll

Seems too long in oven in HG recipe I cook mine 10 mins If you leave longer they shrink too much when out of oven

Karen your question should you mix 2 and cook together - you cant beat 12 whites well I have a very large Kenwood S St bowl and no more than 10 whites will fit and best baked separately as others have all said

I do a 10 white pav or 5 whites roll and roll sideways to get a long long roll and pieces not too wide for ea serve but I always put lemon, rasp or p/fruit as like tangy with pav and always coconut or sliced almonds as others suggested
I roll cold as whipped ceam and rasp etc in mine but it rolls better if not too thick

Hope you give it another go Karen, if you are new to pav mixture - but not a speck of yolk - or whites will stay runny like yours sounded to be
Another tip - store whites up in frig or freezer from making mayo, icecream, crumbing fish etc so you dont suddenly have to use 12 yolks
Whites store for weeks but yolks do not
June 21, 2015 11:09AM
Up date... I served my stacked "roulade" for my guests, they loved it! The home made icecream was a bit hit.
joy
June 22, 2015 06:42AM
Well done Karen
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.